Whats this in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dizzydea

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's this weird bug in my tank? Is it good bad or what?

Attachments

• image-1030718555.jpg
    image-1030718555.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 168
Darn there are a lot of them! And hydra they must have come in on my plants. I'm nearing the end of my cycle and I have some prazipro that claims to be safe for filtration. Does anyone know for sure if it's safe? And lots of pond snails hitched on my plants so angry and annoyed!

Darn there are a lot of them! And hydra they must have come in on my plants. I'm nearing the end of my cycle and I have some prazipro that claims to be safe for filtration. Does anyone know for sure if it's safe? And lots of pond snails hitched on my plants so angry and annoyed!

Prazi will have zero effect on your good bacteria even double dosed. But, I can't guarantee it will have any effect on your big issues. The nymph looks like dragon fly larvae. If you want to get rid of the bugs, try Cyropro (made by hikari) which is a cyromazine insecticide. It will not harm your bb either.

Great then I will order some, seems like such a shame to kill dragon flies

Look what hatched from my tank

Attachments

• image-953807626.jpg
    image-953807626.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 151
Another.

Attachments

• image-2278271480.jpg
    image-2278271480.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 129
So cute, I don't have fish in yet can I just wait till they all hatch? I can't get that medication here I called petland and petsmart with no luck. How long is the hatching period? I've just been putting them in my plants.

Attachments

• image-1523471748.jpg
    image-1523471748.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 114
I thought they were dragon fly nymphs! I have been coming across them in my tanks thanks to moving some pond plants inside back in the summer. I honestly don't know how long they stay in this larval stage. Without fish, I wouldn't be very concerned. Even with fish, I don't think they are a threat unless you have fry. They are likely to become snacks for your fish, too. Here's one I found a few weeks ago.

image-3655624619.jpg

Those are damsel flies. And yes, since you said that you transferred plants from your pond, they probably hitch hiked from there.

Those are damsel flies. And yes, since you said that you transferred plants from your pond, they probably hitch hiked from there.

+1 on the Damsel Fly ID.
It is good that you did not have dragon fly nymphs. I have seen them attach fish, tadpoles, and even small crayfish. They can be cannibalistic.

So will my small fish be ok?

I'm thinking that adult guppies and danios should be fine. Don't know the duration of the aquatic phase for these nymphs but since several appear to be maturing to adulthood one would think the rest will be following shortly. If you are concerned then remove them with a net. Or catch/crush them and hopefully the fish will eat them.

My fish aren't in yet because I'm still cycling, but I'm done in the next couple days. Seeing how I got them from plants I purchased is thing going to be a regular occurrence? Does anyone else have this problem when purchasing plants?

My fish aren't in yet because I'm still cycling, but I'm done in the next couple days. Seeing how I got them from plants I purchased is thing going to be a regular occurrence? Does anyone else have this problem when purchasing plants?

I suppose that depends on the source. Were these from an LFS or was it an online purchase?

Regardless, there are some posts on thus forum that describe a solution you can dip your plants in prior to planting. Do a search in the forum for Hydrogen Peroxide.

I suppose that depends on the source. Were these from an LFS or was it an online purchase?

Regardless, there are some posts on thus forum that describe a solution you can dip your plants in prior to planting. Do a search in the forum for Hydrogen Peroxide.

They were from petland and some from petsmart

What kind of fish are you planning on keeping if you don't mind me asking?

What kind of fish are you planning on keeping if you don't mind me asking?

Here are some pics of some I might like to have, I have to load them 1 at a time on the iPad

Attachments

• image-159052981.jpg
    image-159052981.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom