What's this thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. I just ordered 2 more power heads so I'll have 4 in there now. I should be able to get all the spots where the water isn't flowing as well. The pic help but my sump returns aren't located there there only on the left side. So I think I'm going to place the two new power heads in those locations and the 2 I currently have are already place in the other 2 locations.

Alright my other two power heads came in today and I threw them in. I post up some pics of the placement when the lights turn back on again. But it's looking like I'm starting to get more of that pink stuff again. Should I do another water change?

It wouldn't hurt, then let the new powerheads work for a few days and see what happens.

Ok so here is how I'm looking now. I really hate all the green and the pink stuff. Is there any way to make it go away? You think just letting it go for a few days will help clear this stuff up?

4795303208_47dcceda5c.jpg

4795303170_a2bbe294e2.jpg

4794670375_ccb50ccce5.jpg

Do you rinse out your brine shrimp in RODI water before adding the cube to the tank?

Frozen brine containts a lot of phosphate and this fuels bad algae.
Try dissolving the brine cube in a small glass of RODI water and strain the brine in a fine mesh.

I feed frozen mysis and this doesn't have as much phosphate, but I still rinse with RODI. The added bonus is my fish net is fine enough so the mysis gets caught.

Also, not sure if this got covered in an earlier post, but brine should be fed as an occasional treat - it's like feeding cupcakes to a human all their life. Mysis contains more of the nurtients the fish need.

If you can, get a phosphate test kit and see what the reading is like in your tank. A product like Phos-Zorb will help remove the nuisance phosphate, and help in your fight against cyno and hair algae.

Next PWC try and suck as much of the cryno out as you can, then point a PH at the worst spot and see if that helps. I see you have an anemone so shutting the lights off for a few days may not be in it's best interest.

Alright cool. Someone on here already told me to switch to the mysis food. So I finally got it and the next time I feed them it will be that stuff. I thought that the phosphates might be high so I place a phosphate pad in the filter to try and help get that down. I also just got a new water maker. A RO/DI 4 stage one. I'm gonna make all new water for me top off tank this weekend. I'm hoping that that this one is better than the old one I had. It was a "tap water filter make deionized water for aquariums". I also cut the Halaid lights back to 6hrs a day instead of the 8 I had it set for before. I hope all these changes help. Will the cryno go away on its own or do I have to suck it out?

Either way, but it is beter to suck what you can out.

I have no idea what he has been eating. I'm pretty sure he eats meat and not plants. I haven't been putting anything in there just for him

Ok so I got this water maker. How fast is it suppose to make water? Mine makes it really really slow. It has a gauge on it but I have no idea what's it suppose to read. When I use it I have just been putting it a number 2. I worry that if I put any more pressure to it that it will blow the gasket that I'm using to connect it to the Sink. I've never used one of these before and it didn't come with an instruction booklet. So I just wanna make sure I'm using it right.

4810715296_820f062350.jpg

What is the rating , I am gonna say based on mine 1 gallon per 20 minutes Mine is 100 GPD
tho the first 10 gallons of a new unit membrains should be discarded ...

The gauge is to show you line pressure and should show house pressure of ~60 lbs. Is that orange line your waste line or the pure water line. either way it should be open.

I'm not really sure what it's rated for. I guess mines running a little under that . I just made like 5 or 6 gallons in 4 hours. How do you have yours hooked up to the intake water? I think if I had a better way to hooked it I might be able to get a little more flow. Do you know what the number on the gauges are for?

Oh the orange is my waste water line. Ok I see on the gauge now. I'm running it at 30. I will have to find a better way to hook it up to a water supply if I'm going to have that much pressure.

That may well be your house pressure and you may need a "Booster pump" to increase that pressure. Is that valve on your waste line open or closed? It should be open.
I have a 4 stage like you have and It puts out a gallon in about 40 mins at 65# pressure so yes it is slow. Sadies is 100 g so her unit is faster. My unit is a 75g unit.

Last edited:
That may well be your house pressure and you may need a "Booster pump" to increase that pressure. Is that valve on your waste line open or closed? It should be open.
I have a 4 stage like you have and It puts out a gallon in about 40 mins at 65# pressure so yes it is slow. Sadies is 100 g so her unit is faster. My unit is a 75g unit.
Here is a diagram of a typical unit.

Installation Diagram of 4 and 5 Stage Reverse Osmosis Systems

Oh ok thanks. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing it wrong. I'm only running at 30 so it's even slower. But I guess I'll just have to wait.

I was just sitting down watching my tanks and I noticed that one of my clown fish is eating that stuff thats growing on that rock. I posted a pic of it earlier. Is that ok?

Ok I finally got my RODI water maker hooked up and making water. I Cut back on the food and changed the food anded more power heads, and I just did a water change. This is what it's looking like now. I sucked up a lot of that pink stuff scrubbed it off the glass and so far it dose not appear to be coming back. It's only been like two day but I think it's a good sign.

4832416982_6a1222b492_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom