What's this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shana0310

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my goldfish has ich. Today I notice what I thought was either a loose scale or some sort of parasite. What does it look like to you? I'm thinking parasite. If so, it it just typical of ich? Or something else?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428176673.561210.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428176691.013958.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Could it be where a white spot cyst has exploded off (as ich matures and releases from cyst) and looking at a damaged scale?

Where do you think the ich came from (eg new fish) and what are you using to treat it?

Thank lunch, I'll check it out.

I got a new fish, who strangely does not have ich at all, almost 2 weeks ago. Didn't QT him. I should have known. The tank I got him from looked suspect but he was so tiny (@ 1- 1/2") in a little tank with plecos and bigger goldfish.

I'm treating with elevated temp (78 so far, scared to go higher)and salt. LPS, not where I got the ich fish, suggested trying this for a few days and if things get worse or the other fish got it, then to move onto the bigger gun, malachite green. I caught it pretty early so hopefully the temp and salt will do the trick.

I did 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. Then I threw in one more for luck. I've read the 86 degrees rule. I'm trying to do a little at a time. Once I got to 79 the affected one seemed to get a little spazzy. I figured I'd hang back. I think I warmed them up a little too fast yesterday. He looks better. The spots haven't spread and aren't nearly as visible as the were yesterday. My LPS advised to do no water changes for fear of stressing the fish. I'm thinking of doing at least a 10% every other day. It's got to help eliminate something, right?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the info. I moved the bubble wall to the center of the tank and added an air stone to the spot I didn't see much movement at the surface. I was unintentionally doing the filter method you mentioned. Been too busy this weekend and haven't topped off the tank. Guess I won't. ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom