What's up with my Green Terror?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nothing

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so I got this guy about a month ago off Kijiji, and he's never actually eaten in front of me but I know he's eating a little bit because he is pooping, but I end up removing most of the food because its untouched, and the poop is not stringy or discolored. He also is very skittish around me. For the first while I chalked it up to getting used to a new owner and home but now I think it has something. He is alone in a 55g except for 5 otos that evaded capture when I removed the previous inhabitants, and they are fine. The GT even leaves them alone. The tank params are fine, as is evident by the otos being healthy. I use a fluval 206 and a fluval U4 for filtration. He has a few red lines on his face and scales, and yesterday I noticed the base of his pectoral fins is very red. No bloating seems evident, but he seems to prefer swimming with his head down for the most part but seems to have control because he levels out all the time too. Here's some pics I took after he got caught in a plant and was too weak to get out. I helped him out with my hand and that seems to have earned some respect with him because he's not as skittish around me now. His pectoral fin is curled at the top as well. Thanks for any insight you can provide. I'm treating the tank with a broad spectrum antibiotic, cant remember the name but it treats septicemia , dropsy and fin rot. Figured I should start trying to do something

Attachments

• 1427314002561.jpg
    1427314002561.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 1427314136801.jpg
    1427314136801.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 181
  • 1427314160655.jpg
    1427314160655.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 1427314180405.jpg
    1427314180405.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 130
Okay there doesn't really seem to be anything rally wrong with him to me? The colors are beautiful which tells me that he isn't very stressed. If he is eating and acting normal I wouldn't be that worried

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Maybe it's just not coming out well enough in the photos, but each scale has a bit of a pale red trim, his face has the same pale red lines on it, and his right fin curls over at the top. He is very weak, about a week ago I found him laying upside down in a plant, unable to swim out, he was very pale and I thought he was dying. I scooped him out with my hand, and now his skittishness is gone, now he even somewhat plays with my hand, but his appetite is even less now. I throw one pellet in in the morning or night and I'm still pulling most of it out. I've tried probably 5 or 6 different foods, including blood worms. He just doesn't seem to eat anything so I don't know how he has sustained himself for so long. The extremely red base of his fins seems to come and go a bit. Something definitely seems wrong with him, I just can't find out what it is. The meds did not improve his condition either. Trying some parasite meds now. Anyone have any ideas what is going on?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would stick with parasite meds, because that's what I assume it is, but I can't really identify particularly, I hope he gets better, keep us posted

Maybe it's just not coming out well enough in the photos, but each scale has a bit of a pale red trim, his face has the same pale red lines on it, and his right fin curls over at the top. He is very weak, about a week ago I found him laying upside down in a plant, unable to swim out, he was very pale and I thought he was dying. I scooped him out with my hand, and now his skittishness is gone, now he even somewhat plays with my hand, but his appetite is even less now. I throw one pellet in in the morning or night and I'm still pulling most of it out. I've tried probably 5 or 6 different foods, including blood worms. He just doesn't seem to eat anything so I don't know how he has sustained himself for so long. The extremely red base of his fins seems to come and go a bit. Something definitely seems wrong with him, I just can't find out what it is. The meds did not improve his condition either. Trying some parasite meds now. Anyone have any ideas what is going on?

What are is your ammonia level?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What are is your ammonia level?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

that's a great point haha, for some reason I didn't think of that at all, it could definitely be ammonia poisoning

The ammonia levels are good, but now I'm pretty sure it is a parasite because I just came home from school and saw him pooping, and now it is white in some parts and stringy

Attachments

• 1428617195779.jpg
    1428617195779.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 118
Okay, this is getting ridiculous. I have tried treating with Pimafix, Metroplex, Furan-2, and Marineland All-in-one Remedy. Nothing seems to make a very noticable difference, and I can't keep pouring money into this. I need some ideas of what to treat with this time, because unfortunately this is the last cycle I can do before I can't afford to keep trying.
Here is a list of all the symptoms:
Not eating. I hand fed him a shrimp about 4 days ago and that's the last thing he has had, and he refuses to eat any more.
Somewhat sluggish movement. He still swims around the tank, but is more localized to one spot and spends a lot of time laying on the floor resting. Some days are worse than others.
Red outlines on all the scales and at the base of fins
Clear, slimy looking feces
Rubs himself on rocks occasionally
Fins curl and are a bit tattered, and it looks like there might be some white stuff on the fins near the base

I don't know what's happening but he's been sick like this for probably close to 2 months now. If anyone has any idea what's happening please chime in, I need a medical nuke of sorts to treat him with this time. Would an Epsom salt bath help? How do I set it up? I'm sorry for all the writing and questions, but I feel like I've tried everything and am not getting the results I need. Also, the otos in his tank are still good and well, if that helps. Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• 1430264905249.jpg
    1430264905249.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 1430264918100.jpg
    1430264918100.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 1430264929847.jpg
    1430264929847.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 161
  • 1430264933600.jpg
    1430264933600.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 85
  • 1430264945794.jpg
    1430264945794.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 93
**** I wish I could help. I would honestly go to the SA/CA cichlid section on monsterfishkeeper's and post this up. Not downing AA by any means, but big cichlid keepers are little to None here. There are guys on MFK that have had these fish for decades.

I agree with going mfk. I keep large centrals but they have never been sick.

Sent from my SPH-P500 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Alright I'll try over there, thanks. The floor is still open here too if anyone wants to give their two cents

Okay, this is getting ridiculous. I have tried treating with Pimafix, Metroplex, Furan-2, and Marineland All-in-one Remedy. Nothing seems to make a very noticable difference, and I can't keep pouring money into this. I need some ideas of what to treat with this time, because unfortunately this is the last cycle I can do before I can't afford to keep trying.
Here is a list of all the symptoms:
Not eating. I hand fed him a shrimp about 4 days ago and that's the last thing he has had, and he refuses to eat any more.
Somewhat sluggish movement. He still swims around the tank, but is more localized to one spot and spends a lot of time laying on the floor resting. Some days are worse than others.
Red outlines on all the scales and at the base of fins
Clear, slimy looking feces
Rubs himself on rocks occasionally
Fins curl and are a bit tattered, and it looks like there might be some white stuff on the fins near the base

I don't know what's happening but he's been sick like this for probably close to 2 months now. If anyone has any idea what's happening please chime in, I need a medical nuke of sorts to treat him with this time. Would an Epsom salt bath help? How do I set it up? I'm sorry for all the writing and questions, but I feel like I've tried everything and am not getting the results I need. Also, the otos in his tank are still good and well, if that helps. Thank you for any help.

At a guess (I don't keep these fish) I was thinking bacterial - scepticemia. Could that fit at all?

I'm not sure an Epsom salt bath would work. Can send a link?

I'd dose metro as bacterial / some parasites.

I think that needs to go with either prazi (parasites) or another antibiotic but really this is just off the cuff.

Pima and marineland imo would be more for low level infections.

Back
Top Bottom