What's up with my java fern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is this java fern? If so, can anyone tell me what is going on with it? I bought it in a he'll pack about a week ago and broke it up and shoved it in the substrate, figured it'd be okay. See pictures.

Lighting is 2 48" T8 6500k bulbs, 78F, pH 7.4

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1402276577945.jpg
    1402276577945.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 1402276590632.jpg
    1402276590632.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 119
Also, this is how I propagated it, don't know if I was anywhere near ideal.

Attachments

• 1402277806649.jpg
    1402277806649.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 114
Also, this is how I propagated it, don't know if I was amended near ideal.

Java Fern have a rhizome and they need to be at surface level or tied onto a rock or driftwood. They don't like to have it buried. You can use the super glue which everyone uses for corals, I don't know which is safe, I think it is the gel, but wouldn't want to say for sure without knowing.

You can tie it to a river rock with fishing line, fly tying line or cotton thread. That way you can place them were you want them, and move them around when you feel like it.

Java Fern have a rhizome and they need to be at surface level or tied onto a rock or driftwood. They don't like to have it buried. You can use the super glue which everyone uses for corals, I don't know which is safe, I think it is the gel, but wouldn't want to say for sure without knowing.

You can tie it to a river rock with fishing line, fly tying line or cotton thread. That way you can place them were you want them, and move them around when you feel like it.

Will they grow floating until I get time to tie them back up?

After about 6-8 months they should attach to the item they are growing on. Mine are always in low light, if you have higher light it will be faster probably.

Okay, I guess I'll pull them out of the substrate in the morning. Anubias are rooting plants though, right? I have one of those too.

Anubias is same as have fern. Needs tied on to something. Driftwood is great.

I think it's the super glue gel that is safe not regular super glue

Nothing's wrong with it, it's probably reproducing. My plant looks really ragged, losing green color and it still reproduced a lot! Tie the babies and adults to a rough surfaced rock or driftwood and it should be okay!

I wedged a couple of them into the nooks of my driftwood and locked another into the top of the pirate ship.

Did you remove all the leaves from the rhyzome? How they are planted it looks that way, you want to keep the leaves on the rhyzome and when you want to seperate into more plants, you need to cut the rhyzome with a few leaves attatched on each side so they can still bring in nutrients from the water.
All the leaves you have removed will die but it looks from the close-ups that some have started to put out plantlets. That would be the brown fuzzies and green shoots you are seeing. They will grow slowly but as the leaves get bigger, about an inch long, you can pull them from the dying leaf fairly easy, and replant as mentioned already.

Did you remove all the leaves from the rhyzome? How they are planted it looks that way, you want to keep the leaves on the rhyzome and when you want to seperate into more plants, you need to cut the rhyzome with a few leaves attatched on each side so they can still bring in nutrients from the water.
All the leaves you have removed will die but it looks from the close-ups that some have started to put out plantlets. That would be the brown fuzzies and green shoots you are seeing. They will grow slowly but as the leaves get bigger, about an inch long, you can pull them from the dying leaf fairly easy, and replant as mentioned already.

I'm guessing the ryhzome is the root/base of the leaves? When I bought it there were several leaves tied together with string/thread. I cut the thread so as to spread it out, and gently pulled apart what seemed like seedlings to me. Some of the leaves have bases that look like a root or whatnot, most of them do, in fact.

When they are bundled and banded it can be tough to determine what's what! Sometimes they will add leaves in to fill out a batch, so another unit can be sold... The rhizome usually runs perpendicular to the stem of the leaves. Here is a pic for reference:ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402367663.516381.jpg
This is a plant that I pulled off of a dying leaf about 2 months ago. The dark piece that has the brown "roots" at the bottom is the rhizome.

Well most of the leaves have rhizome at their base, some more than others though.

Well most of the leaves have rhizome at their base, some more than others though.

Gotcha, must have been buried in the photos. I just tuck some of the root looking strands under a few rocks or the sand until it will stay in place, and leave the rest above the substrate. It's not easy to tie them with fishing line, and super glue(gel) can often seal over the rhizome and impede growth where it touches the plant.

Gotcha, must have been buried in the photos. I just tuck some of the root looking strands under a few rocks or the sand until it will stay in place, and leave the rest above the substrate. It's not easy to tie them with fishing line, and super glue(gel) can often seal over the rhizome and impede growth where it touches the plant.

Yeah they were buried in those pictures, I've since removed them from the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom