Whats wrong with my hammer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nu-Nu the eel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, i woke up this morning and saw my hammer coral looking very inverted. Dang. Salinity is .024 and tge levels have always been 000 on this tank. I havent tested yet but i will soon. Will it die?

Looks the way mine did before it kicked the bucket. How is the lighting/flow and how long has it been in the tank?

Really? Dang :( it has been here for at least a month or so and it has ALWAYS done great. What the heck..

Nothing changed? I would do a comprehensive test just to be sure.

I think you were in on my thread with mine - it turned out to be light (too much). You also know I am new to SW so I don't have much else to go on... I do know that if there is still green in there, then it can recover.

Yup im annoyed.. Salininity is .022 or .023, hard to pick. Just did the nitrate test i will tell you the results. Nothing has changed since i put him there 1 1/2 months ago. He has a few tentacles sticking out so hopefully he is ok

Where do you have it in the tank? I have all mine about mid way in the tank with a med flow on them. They would be about 12-14 inches away from the light in my tank.

Unfortunately- once a head goes- that's it. Linda like a wall hammer- usually when the skeleton starts showing that's it for the coral.

Jlsardina said:
Where do you have it in the tank? I have all mine about mid way in the tank with a med flow on them. They would be about 12-14 inches away from the light in my tank.

Unfortunately- once a head goes- that's it. Linda like a wall hammer- usually when the skeleton starts showing that's it for the coral.

So you think its a goner? It was perfect yesterday:'( we will do a pwc today and raise the saninity

Alright so mine just randomly died? This makes zero sence. It was perfectly fine until today. Nitrates are at 0-5. Medium flow, middle of the tank, about a frot from the light. Wow...

You win some you lose some. Sorry to hear about the coral but it makes you think and ponder on what to do next. I've been very fortunate to have my little reef run happy and healthy for as long as it has been.

Yup true. Thing is, i dont mind loosing anything as long as i know what i did wrong. I almost wish my nitrates were high, or my salinity was low just so i actually know what the heck happened. This just seems like a cheap shot because as far as i know, i did nothing wrong.

Ya i know what you mean, i keep thinking about it though. What if i do decide to buy a more expensive coral? I wont have any confidence that i can keep it alive if i just managed to kill the easiest coral out there. Lol

Just remember that frags are cut from larger corals. If they don't have proper time to heal its like taking home a chance. Maybe just stick to the hardier corals until your tank is a little more established.

I don't think hammers are any where near the easiest coral to keep... even as far as LPS, there are much hardier corals than hammers.

Polyps are great to have, GSP is impossible to kill and looks nice after some time to spread, mushrooms are good starters too.

Ya but i dont consider myself. A beginner anymore... I think i should have been able to handle a hammer coral.

Just because one coral doesn't do well in your tank, it doesn't mean that other delicate corals can't. I've had Acro's do really well and Xenia die for no reason.

yeah, i have $5 she makes a come back. But I can grow anything in my tank, but zoo's hate it! They'll live just won't grow! Your tank will tell ya what it likes!

What's all the fuss? Because ur coral is apparently annoyed by something, ur considering it as good as dead after 1 day? Wow. I wouldn't have any coral left if this were the case. Give it a couple days. Then if it doesn't emerge, move it somewhere else in the tank

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom