What's wrong with my sword plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you using any fertilizer? Swords are heavier root feeders and could benefit from root tabs if you aren't using them

Are you using any fertilizer? Swords are heavier root feeders and could benefit from root tabs if you aren't using them

Not yet just got the plants. Out of all my plants, the ones that are doing bad are the swords and the crypt. So going to order root tabs but do I also get dry ferts too?
I know crypts go through the infamous crypt melt when it is newly introduce into a tank. Are crypts root feeders too?

Yes crypts are also root feeders and would benefits rom the tabs as well. No you also don't need to use dry ferts if you don't want to, what kind of lights over what sized tank do you have?

Yes crypts are also root feeders and would benefits rom the tabs as well. No you also don't need to use dry ferts if you don't want to, what kind of lights over what sized tank do you have?

I have a 3 bulb fluorescent fixture that is right on top of the glass canopy. I have 30 Watts of daylight compact fluorescent bulbs. The u-tube light ones. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003QZF7JA/ref=mw_dp_img?is=l
Over a 20 gallon high tank. About 2.5 to 3 inch substrate. Water level up to the bottom of the black trim.
Do you think it is enough light? I have cabomba, Java fern, Anubias nana, vals, wisteria, Christmas moss, crypt mi oya, tropica sword

Looks like they aren't getting enough nutrients. When did you plant them? Sometimes new leaves due off when they first get planted

It appears to be phosphate deficiency in the sword. Swords are very heavy root feeders and actually prefer having root tabs high in phosphates and iron. I use the phosphate and iron tabs for my sword that are sold by AquariumPlants.com Plus I give them regular root tabs along with the speciality ones. Crypts are root feeders also and with having the Mi Oya crypt using extra iron root tabs will benefit it color wise.

Are you using any fertilizers in the water? With your lighting good ferts and the addition of liquid carbon would give your good growth. I use dry ferts because they are very economical and IMO easy to use.

It appears to be phosphate deficiency in the sword. Swords are very heavy root feeders and actually prefer having root tabs high in phosphates and iron. I use the phosphate and iron tabs for my sword that are sold by AquariumPlants.com Plus I give them regular root tabs along with the speciality ones. Crypts are root feeders also and with having the Mi Oya crypt using extra iron root tabs will benefit it color wise.

Are you using any fertilizers in the water? With your lighting good ferts and the addition of liquid carbon would give your good growth. I use dry ferts because they are very economical and IMO easy to use.

Would Seachem's liquid phos help or do they have to be root tabs?

Would Seachem's liquid phos help or do they have to be root tabs?

Liquid phosphate might help a little bit but root tabs high in phosphate and iron will do the most for swords since they mostly absorb nutrients via their roots.

Yes, a $20 package of macro and micros from GreenLeaf Aquariums lasts my 220g roughly 1 year.

Back
Top Bottom