Whats YOUR favorite part of this hobby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is YOUR favourite part about keeping fish?

• Seeing them grow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Breeding

• Just watching them

• Total voters
I have to agree, just seeing the fish grow gives me the most satisfaction. It means that not only did I avoid killing them, but that I must be providing an environment in which they can thrive! :D

When I gain a little more (no, ALOT more) experience, I may attempt breeding. Till then, I'm content to just watch the fish swim around and get big.

oscarbreeder said:
It is sooo peaceful.

8O Oscars are peaceful? 8O

From what I've seen and read of them, they are little bundles of energy, wrapped up with attitude, and covered with scales! :D

Watching them is just too cool, and it is peaceful. All the tanks, even the more "lively" ones, help me unwind.

For me it is just watching them. My tanks are in my room and the first couple of weeks that I got my 55 gal, all I did was watch the fish. I even put a "fish watchin' chair" by the tank. Even made me late for work and school in the mornings cause I would just sit there and watch :lol:

They are peacful to watch and cool to see the fish sorta come up to the glass and stare at me like, wow.. 8O

like about

I like watching them.
Especially the interactive ones that want YOUR attention for whatever.
You can tell because they will swivel their eyes your way a few times before doing something amusing.
Though most of them are pretty sedate. Especially the choclaote gourami inmy son's tank. They look like carnival pop-ups the way they play one at a time in the filter current and then swing gracefully behind and over the log.
They are all pirahnas at feeding time..... SO I get a bonus species for the price of one! :p

I love bringing home new ones! I know that's not on the list, but I can't help myself at the pet store and with the few deaths lately, and plans for a 50 gal, there's room for more fish friends :Fade-color
Then there are the fry!! One of the cichlids looks gravid--we're watching her closely.

Watching the fish I guess. I love everything about it, but watching their behavior, watching them eat, watching them grow, watching them explore.... all good things :)

Hummmm, I guess seeing them grow is the my most favorite thing, but I do so love to just watch them swim around

I love watching my $.25 feeders turning into $3 pond comets, but I like watching my cats eat more than I like to seem them become huge.

I also love to sit and watch them, I have a tank in the living room, kitchen & both bedrooms - so no matter where I go there's something going on. It's also great to see them grow and change, and you get to know each of their "personalities." And there's always room to learn and expand!

Watching them grow. Especially the fry as they grow extremely fast in the first few months...one day you are looking at little specs and the next they are free swimming fish.

Then again my plants are growing fastest...my java fern has doubled its number of leafs and grown out its original leaves 50% longer in only 2 weeks.

Watching them. I enjoy watching the ones that think and examine their environment. It's interesting to see them puzzle things out. Like the first time my betta saw a pondsnail. He got up close and studied it as it crawled across the gravel.

It's interesting to see them adapt their behavior as well. The white clouds have figured out the feeding behavior of the otos. The white clouds will come down and hover around the otos, nip at them and drive them away from the algae tablets. Vultures. The betta watches as well but he's more sly and slinks over and under various leaves and objects and waits for his opportunity. He's really the biggest so he can just bully everyone out of the way, but I think he likes to make a game out of it...

I wonder if ghost shrimp think.

none of the above...

while there are proven health benefits of simply watching the fish, i just like learning. this is a hobby with many facets and a massive amount of information behind each one. the same goes for my other hobby which is audio engineering (recording, mixing, mastering, etc.) i take what i can find and apply that to my aquarium for the benefit of the fish, plants, bacteria, myself, and our siamese cats who sit on the ottoman infront of the tank. :D

smilla4 said:
Watching them. I enjoy watching the ones that think and examine their environment. It's interesting to see them puzzle things out. Like the first time my betta saw a pondsnail. He got up close and studied it as it crawled across the gravel.

It's interesting to see them adapt their behavior as well. The white clouds have figured out the feeding behavior of the otos. The white clouds will come down and hover around the otos, nip at them and drive them away from the algae tablets. Vultures. The betta watches as well but he's more sly and slinks over and under various leaves and objects and waits for his opportunity. He's really the biggest so he can just bully everyone out of the way, but I think he likes to make a game out of it...

I wonder if ghost shrimp think.

In the tank where I am growing out fry I have some ghost shrimp...since there isn't very much that gets down to the bottom I have seen the ghost shrimp nudge guppy fry out of the way to snatch up ground flake or brine shrimp. The ghost shrimp seem to exhibit better recognition of feeding time then the fry.

Watching the drama unfold. They are all cichlids about the same size, so they are constantly competing for top fish of the tank. The newest thing is how my blue kenyii, who matured and is now a yellow kenyii, is adapting to the yellow labs in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom