Whats your heat index at? Mines at 105.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tong

Aquarium Advice Activist
So for the past two weeks I've been unintentionally treating ich (None of my fish have ich but my tanks have been at 88 because I haven't been cooling). Today's high is 96 with a heat index of 105. Blah...that'll push the tank into the 90's. So I told my wife to leave a few doors open and cool the upstairs (where my tanks are) using the AC unit on the first floor. Hopefully the tanks will stay in the 80's.

So, how hot is it where you are and how are you keeping stuff cool?

Im in chicago and they are calling for a heat index today between 105-110. Tomorrow hotter. Lucky for me, the cost of living in chicago is so stinking high, i have a 500 sq ft. 1 bedroom apartment. You say "why thank god"... because its cheap to cool! Now im looking forward to a chicago winter, the best of both worlds (or worse)

I live in mid michigan and its about 85 here right now.
i have central air so my it dosent affect my fish.
Sorry about ur temp. problems...
I'd use alot of fans!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live in wisconsin. The average summer high is 81. Usually I don't have to worry about heat. So I don't have anything extra to cool the tank because I'll most likely only use it once or twice a year. This summer is kind of odd though, Wisconsin, and I believe most the country has had quite the heat wave.

The actual temp here has been right at 100 for the past two weeks. It was at 103 yesterday (without heat index). I'm spending a fortune trying to keep my house cool enough not to boil my fish (Made the mistake of putting them on the second floor).

We are supposed to hit 100 this week. I just bite the bullet and leave the AC on for the fish, besides I like giving the electric company my money.

From the weather website...

Tonight
Mostly clear. Lows in the upper 70s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Heat index readings 110 to 115 in the evening.

Western Wisconsin

Going to fry some eggs on the blacktop today here in Madison. Luckily my tank is in the back of the apartment and doesn't get any sunlight.

60% of the country is in drought anf a heat wave

...not ohio, its been getting in the upper 80's, which is normal, and its been raining 1-2 time per week

EDIT: i dunno how to find/what is a heat index?

My heat index should hit 110 today with temp at 100 , no AC and my fish tank is ~ 90 degrees, no fun :(

We had a problem with the AC two weeks ago. It was out of comission for 3 days and the tank in the main floor went as high as 85. I was very concerned, but it didn't seem to affect the fish.

96 in Chattanooga with 54% humidity...which is surprisingly low for this time of year

Heat Index is how hot it feels when you consider both the temp and the humidity. I think its important because a 96 degree day with no humidity means your tank will atleast evaporate to keep cool. A 96 day with lots of humidity means your tank isn't evaporating as quickly and therefor is going to be hotter. I might be wrong on that though.

I live in Panhdle of texas or the top of texas where we are right in the middlie of the drought . we have gone 7m witout any measuable moster. It's been in the triple digits here for 5 weeks str8. it's 106 outside now with a heat index of 112. Col front coming in tomorrow with showers likl;y. If that happen after they leave it will jump back up to the 112 to 115 easily. it was 104 in the shad yesterday and I keep my house cooled down to 75 by central air. So fish are nice nd cool at 78. All but two tanks they ae keep at 80 to 81.

Stay cool the best way you can ice with fan works great.

Well, I live in tropical South Texas (15 miles North of Brownsville) and it's ALWAYS hot here. There would be no way to tell if we were in a heat wave or not......our whole year is a heat wave. We think "cold" is 70 deg. LOL So far, it's staying right around 96-98, but the heat index is 103-105. The humidity is 42% which is low for us. No one survives down here without central heat/air. I also keep my A/C set at around 75-77 when I'm home which keeps the tanks cool. When I'm away, I set it up around 80, but my tanks don't really go any hotter.

At 6 pm the head index is 107. That's at SIX pm. Today it was very hot. We keep the tanks cool by running the AC at all times.

It's been pushing 100 here today too, as I think it has over 80% of the US this week. The index has been moving around 105 and higher. Like others, I have Cental Air, so the tanks stay right cool and so do I.

the AC on for the fish, besides I like giving the electric company my money.

I do this even with the fans, thank god I have a small apt.

And, Big C if your tank is getting up to 85 on hot days, depending on what kind of fish you have, you may want to have it set at about 82-84. It is better to be a little high that to shock the temp. all the time

Back
Top Bottom