When a plant turns red does it start absorbing green light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering because plants are green because they absorb blue and red light, and reflects green light. Would that mean red plants absorb green and blue light but not red?

It has been a long time since I was in a physics or bio class, but I would have to say that based on what you have said, if the plant looks red, then it is absorbing other wavelengths of light, and reflecting red.

Now as far as the implications for the type of lighting you have over your tank, which is assume where you are going with this, I don't know. It would take some reading to figure that part out.

I don't think I'm going anywhere with this.. just curiosity... It just seems wierd to think that a plant would absorb green light...

I'm a chem major, but I can comment on this! Just finished studying something closely related in o chem. Green plants are green because the chlorophyll molecule reflects green light and the chlorophyll molecule is making up the majority of the chemicals in the cells (I think?). All plants have chlorophyll as well as other molecules that change sunlight and CO2 into sugars. These other compounds absorb green and reflect different colors (brown, yellow, red, orange, even purple) which is why the leaves change colors in fall. Some plants are these colors year round because of these molecules are more dominant than chlorophyll.

So short answer...yes, a plant turns red because it is now absorbing green light as well as all colors except red.

Back
Top Bottom