When can i put fish in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khilton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just started my 55g saltwater tank with 60 lbs of live sand and 40 lbs of live rock a week ago. Im wondering when I can start putting fish in my take. My salt level has been at 1.025 for three days so I think the tank it settling in. I was told I should put damsels in soon to bring my cycle. Is this true? What do you recommend?

I'm really against cycling with fish. Damsels are hardy, but putting them in an environment with ammonia and nitrite spikes is horrible and toxic. Plus when the cycle you're left with an aggressive fish that could bully all your new inhabitants. Every one's cycle is different, but generally 1-2 months and it will be cycled. I would recommend adding fish when there is <30 nitrate ppm. Might want to add another ammonia source like table shrimp.

The basics of cycling:
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

I guess I'm confused on what cycling means. Does cycling include fish? I've heard people say that cycling takes 2 month but wasn't sure if I should wait 2 months before adding fish or if I need to add fish at some point during the two months to help the cycle process.

There is fishless cycling and there is cycling with fish. I think both take around the same time. Cycling with fish might take longer b/c people will do water changes just to keep the fish alive which delays the cycle. A cycle is finished when you have added an ammonia source, hopefully your ammonia goes to 4 ppm, and later there is 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. Nitrates are still toxic, but not as much as ammonia and nitrite. Most fish and definitely inverts are sensitive to high levels of nitrate too so like I said, it's best to add them when you have a reading that is fairly close to zero.

I would highly recommend you check out the link that obscure reef posted its pretty well explained

Back
Top Bottom