When changing the filter media...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roxxma

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
...is it a good idea to leave the old media in the tank to allow the new media to grow the bacteria colonies? I haven't changed it in months and have been rinsing and "cleaning" it in the newly removed water as I do changes, but it's getting so very little water will pass through the media, so I think it's time...

What kind of filter do you have? If it is one with a BIO-Wheel then you don't really need to worry about losing bacteria colonies when you change the filter carrtridge. If your filter has several types of media in it (i.e. sponge and biological material) then changing one won't hurt because the other will still provide a bacterial growth medium.

Its a really cheap Whisper 10, so it all comes out when changing.

It seems to do the job though (10 gallon community tank).

does the whisper 10 not have the secondary sponge? My old whisper 40 came with the "bio-bag" and a black sponge that went in just after that. If you alternate their changing then you should do fine.

No, it just has the bio bag, but come to think of it, I think one can buy a sponge to put into the filter.

You my be able place a small layer of ceramic rings and trim a sponge on top. then changing out the sponge every so often won't really do much

Back
Top Bottom