when choosing fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
hey guys, when choosing fish from the LFS, do you say, "oh, i will have 10 of these, and 4 of those"... or do you say "i want that one, and that one, and that one"....

I bring this up because it seems that every time i go into the LFS, they have a problem with me, because lets say i want one fast fish, out of a large tank with a gazzilion of them, i will not be pleased enless i get the fish i wanted. I always choose the healthiest looking fish, but they get frusterated with me when i ask for things like this. they will say things like "these are quick so i am just going to scoop what i can get" then i say "no, i want this one"

Just wondering if anyone else out there is as picky as me, and if the LFS people get mad at you too. :D

They once netted a tiny yo-yo loach and i said "can you get a different one"
Usually i just say "one of those please " or "3 of those please" but if it's unhealthy or is the wrong size i want then i'll say so.

Also if i want a male or female i'll say which specific one because i dont trust them.

When I used to work in the retail end, I would get sooooo annoyed when someone would want a fancy feeder fish. If I ordered them 500 at a time, could you imagine scooping ONE out of those 500? But, the thing is that....if they are good at what they do, they could do it with some patience. :) I got so practiced at getting any fish in the tank.

But anyways...when I go I usually ask for "4 of those" and don't pick individual ones.

I ask for "3 of those" or whatever, but I always check (or ask to) the bag before I make the purchase, and if there are unhealthy fish or some I don't like the look of in there I ask for them to be put back and replaced with another. Only ever had to do that with BBGs though really, it's not like it happens all the time.

The LFS I go to allows me to pick which fish I want. They have no problem with that. Sometimes I just say "whatever looks healthy" but there have been a few times they had to get five or more fish before I got a nice one.

Honestly if a store makes a big fuss over it, I wouldn't go back.

Satsumas said:
Also if i want a male or female i'll say which specific one because i dont trust them.

This is where learning to sex fish comes in real handy. Many LFS carry so many different fish it's difficult for them to correctly sex every species. While a customer can easily learn about a single species and make the correct guess a majority of the time. That's what I had to do with my Clown Pleco. While I'm not 100% sure she is really a she, there's a good chance. The owner had no idea how to sex them which is nothing against them. They are fantastic people.

I would watch the stock tank and stake out the exact ones I wanted and would make sure that the employee gathered them correctly. Never had a problem with any LFS employee.

Why is this important? You should want the best specimens possible. I liken the process to when we buy fruits and vegetables. Folks are real fussy about that are they not? Same thing in reality.

Of course, if the employee has a problem, you can volunteer to net them out yourself. :wink:

Iusually ask for 3 of those and 2 of these but not until I've spent a good long time observing the tank they're in. I want to make sure that all specimens look and and act healthy. If I see even 1 that looks a little wonky I'll pass.
I also know the schedule for delivery of fresh specimens. My LFS gets the new delivery on Thursday mornings so I try to plan my purchases for Saturdays to let the fish de-stress a bit. Of course then they get netted and re-stressed.

It all depends on what type of fish I am buying. If I am buying a schooling fish such as my tetras or my danios, I simply just said the amount that I wanted. I was going to go to the LFS today in hopes of finding a "tank raised GBR" that they had some of a few weeks back. I need to find my unpaired female a new mate, hopefully she will take a new one. You can bet that I will be picking out EXACTLY which male I want. I am kicking myself right now because I should have gotten one a few weeks ago when they had them. I was choosing exactly which one I wanted but I didn't get him because I think I had to go to work or something.

It really depends for me on what kind of fish i am getting, which LFS I am at, and how the fish look.

For example: If i am buying an angelfish, GBR or cichlid, I am more likely to pick an individual. If i am buying dither fish or schooling fish, I am likely to say give me X fish.

It depends which type of fish I am buying and what the tankmates look like. If it is a healthy looking tank of community fish and all the fish are active, I'll just say "Give me 4 of these". But when it comes to my Africans, I pick those specifically.

I am with WaterPond on this one. I point the exact fish out that I want. My LFS is used to me and do not normally have a problem doing this for me. They treat me well because I treat them well. I do not buy all of my supplies on line. I have been in business before and know how hard it is to compete with the net, so I try to make some purchases at the LFS to help make sure that they are there when I really need them. Also you would not go to buy a cat or dog and take whatever they gave you, why do less for my aquatic pets.

Jchillin said:
Of course, if the employee has a problem, you can volunteer to net them out yourself. :wink:
one of the LFS i go to i just net my own fish, not because the owner is impatient, but because i know her and she has told me many times i feel free to do it :D

Mostly I ask for individuals. I have goldfish and I expect the one in the tank that is of best quality or has certain characteristics. The store where I get my commons from the feeder tank they have 26 cents per fish or one dollar for a specific fish. I usually pay the dollar for specifics. I don't want unhealthy fish or poor genetics, even in my pond. Platies and swords I just asked for 3 that look healthy. But since they have so many colors I can see if somebody wants one kind or one gender they would ask for specifics. Loaches on the other hand I just took what the guy could get. Unless you are good at netting there is no point in chasing around kuhlis for half an hour. It would be much nicer if I could net my own if I knew the store owner or something.

I have never had a real problem with my lfs minding me picking out specific fish.

I dont know if it is because people who work there are genuwinly fish fanatics and in many other stores I have visited they are there for the pay, not for love of fish.

Although if I am getting alot of fish I will chose out a few specific ones and let the guy get the rest, out of consideration of corse. lol

kyekitten said:
Although if I am getting alot of fish I will chose out a few specific ones and let the guy get the rest, out of consideration of corse. lol

With me, it doesnt matter which fish i get, or how many. it has to be the ones that i want. Consideration... hmm... i beleive it it more thier job to please the customer, not to have an easy job...

BTW kyekitten, WELCOME TO AA!

If there's a special one (or more) I want, I will ask them and they are happy to catch it for me.

Remembering my petshop days, I never found it particularly hard to catch one of a group. It works better when catching them to stake one out and carefully pursue it anyway---much less panic and drama for the fishies!

I watch the tank and if I see 2 or 3 are more together than others I tend to pick the ones I want from either not breaking up the group that I notice together playfully, or because of behavior, size and colors. I dont care if they get mad that is what they are paid to do.

Waterpond keep up what you do buy what you are satisfy with and forget what lfs think your paying them not the opposite. if not take your business somewhere else and give them a bad rap for poor customer service.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom