When do i add liquid plant fertilizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billsgate

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi,

Maybe a stupid question, but here goes:
I use aquasafe by tetra to treat my tapwater. It says on the package: removes chlorines and heavy metals.
Now, if i would add my plant fertilizer at the same time, would the iron in the fertilizer be removed?

TIA

You know i have no idea at all. That's why i just age my water before i put it in. It completely avoids all these chemical treatments and you don't have to worry about unwanted reactions. Chlorine only takes a day or two to evaporate away from the water. But i believe Chlorime (spelling may be way off) takes longer. Check your local water report to see what is in your water.

Not sure on this question but I think the water treatment just detoxifies heavy metals by binding with them so they may still be available for use by plants. I don't think anyone has ever had plant problems due to their dechlorinator.

Well, i haven't had plant problems yet, i'm just starting to use fertilizer now because growth on my plants has stagnated a bit.
I was just curious, since it would be kinda dumb to have my fertilizer neutralised by my dechlorinator. 8O

I've heard that it is better to add ferts a day or two after a water change if you use a conditioner. The only thing it could affect is trace metals and iron. Honestly, I doubt it makes alot of difference, but I add my ferts a day after the water change anyway.

I agree with adding your ferts several days after water changes to eliminate any problem. If you use carbon in your filter, it will strip nutrients your plants need.

Ok guys, i'll remove my carbon media from my filter, and i'll add my ferts in between water changes.
thanks allot!

Back
Top Bottom