When do i need to separate the guppy fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all- I have some guppy fry and I'm wondering when I need to separate them. Right now they are in with 4 females and I have no plans to breed them... This batch of fry contains 3 fry about a month old (the mom gave birth two days after I got her!) and about 20-30 that are a few days old. I plan on keeping a very select few and giving away the rest but I dont want any more unplanned pregnancies !

when do I have to separate the male and female fry from each other and the male fry from the adult females?

You need to separate them as soon as you can sex them. Some are late bloomers so you need to keep checking the 'females' as they grow out as well.

It only takes one interaction between an adult male and female for the female to have multiple spawns, so they should be kept separate at all times, and even then expect another 3 or more spawns by the females.

jetajockey said:
You need to separate them as soon as you can sex them. Some are late bloomers so you need to keep checking the 'females' as they grow out as well.

It only takes one interaction between an adult male and female for the female to have multiple spawns, so they should be kept separate at all times, and even then expect another 3 or more spawns by the females.

Wait. Hold on a second there! Did you say they can have multiple spawns from one encounter? I knew they could hold onto the sperm for awhile but I didn't realize they could ration it out over multiple spawns! Holy moley.

Too bad guppies aren't a good food source for humans... We could end world hunger in about four weeks...

VioletEmber said:
Wait. Hold on a second there! Did you say they can have multiple spawns from one encounter? I knew they could hold onto the sperm for awhile but I didn't realize they could ration it out over multiple spawns! Holy moley.

Too bad guppies aren't a good food source for humans... We could end world hunger in about four weeks...

Oh ya! Research tells me they can have 4-6 batches from one breeding... My only male Molly died last month and I expect continued births thru spring...

To be honest they breed so quick even giving off the fish, you will still have loads of fry. When you have some moss or plants some fry will usually hide there and survive, the rest I let nature take its course. The batch I currently have are about 2 months old, had the mom, who was grey and ice blue, breed with an orange male I bought for breeding, the colours of the little ones looks amazing!

Yes, I believe I may move my female Betta back in! My first female guppy spawned only 5 (that I saw) and 3 have survived--- so I was completely unprepared for the 40+ that arrived next!

warthog76za said:
To be honest they breed so quick even giving off the fish, you will still have loads of fry. When you have some moss or plants some fry will usually hide there and survive, the rest I let nature take its course. The batch I currently have are about 2 months old, had the mom, who was grey and ice blue, breed with an orange male I bought for breeding, the colours of the little ones looks amazing!

Do you have any pics of the little ones? I love guppies and the different varieties.

VioletEmber said:
Yes, I believe I may move my female Betta back in! My first female guppy spawned only 5 (that I saw) and 3 have survived--- so I was completely unprepared for the 40+ that arrived next!

I had the same thing happen to me. I had a female have about 4 and so far all have survived one has a bent spine tho. Some other females I brought from LFS had a batch each (25+). So good luck!

Back
Top Bottom