When to add ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover3578

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How long should a tank be up before addin ghost shrimp are they safe with cory cat and guppies? I a also considering a gourami with them as some tetra

Should be fine. I have some in my tank with rams and angels. Just make sure you have lots of places to hide. And fast sinking food.

Should be fine. I have some in my tank with rams and angels. Just make sure you have lots of places to hide. And fast sinking food.

When can I add them I'm doing fish in cycle it's been going for over a month only do 50% WC once. A week I'm going to try changing It to 25%.wc a week I will be testing my water

they might chase them a bit if you dont feed them well. they will especially go after the guppies and 100% the fry so feed the shrimps well

Generally speaking shrimp do better in tanks that are more mature. Several months after they are cycled, in other words. They eat a lot of biofilm, which takes time to grow. They aren't going to do as well in a newly cycled tank as they will in one that's a few months older after finishing the cycle and having fish added.

I have never seen my Ghosts bother any fish or other shrimp, except for newborn Neos, which they eat if they find them. These are the american ghosts.. palaemonetes.

I got two ghost shrimps in my CT with 7 neon tetras, 1 betta female, cory catfish, and ram snails.

They seem to all get along. I thought my shrimp was a gonner one night, turns out my female betta was just curious=)

I've had them with Kuhli loaches, a few Danio species, panda garras, dwarf gouramis, cories, all kinds of snails, neo shrimps [ Snowballs to be precise], and Bamboo and African fan shrimp. The only things they ever bothered were baby Snowballs, and only a few of them. I had a thriving colony of Snowballs in the same tank as the all those fish, except the gouramis, in a 29G. They do not live a long life, less than 18 months seems to be the average, but so long as you get some babies, you have more Ghost shrimp.

I had Ghost shrimp successfully reproduce and survive in that tank too, but only a few. Many were no doubt eaten, or possibly sucked into the filter. But at least a half dozen lived to become adults from my first batch of them.

Bettas have been known to eat them, so be aware. They can get along, but it depends on the fish. Best to have places for the shrimp to hide out in, if the fish decides to go hunting. I think that's why mine did as well as they did, the tank was heavily furnished with wood, rock and plants, so loads of hiding and feeding spots for all.

Bettas have been known to eat them, so be aware. They can get along, but it depends on the fish. Best to have places for the shrimp to hide out in, if the fish decides to go hunting. I think that's why mine did as well as they did, the tank was heavily furnished with wood, rock and plants, so loads of hiding and feeding spots for all.

My betta gets along fine with the ghost shrimp. But then, he's a pretty laid back kind of cat, for a fish. Also very un-curious. There will occasionally be mid-water collisions if they are swimming for the same tidbit. It's pretty funny.

Back
Top Bottom