When to change cartridge in filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NadiaG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10g tank with a Aqueon QuietFlow 10 power filter. I was wondering how often I should change a carbonated cartridge for it? How to know for sure that it's time? Ty

I have a 10g tank with a Aqueon QuietFlow 10 power filter. I was wondering how often I should change a carbonated cartridge for it? How to know for sure that it's time? Ty

Do yourself a HUGE favor, and ditch the cartridges. Fill the filter about halfway with ceramic media, then top it off with polyfill. The problem with cartridges are the following:
1. Waaaaay to expensive to replace in the long run
2. It relies on carbon to keep the tank clear and eliminate toxins. The padding houses your bacteria which, as soon as you replace the cartridge, you lose all the bacteria.
3. Gets clogged very quickly and typical cant keep up with most bioloads.

Do this easy fix and your tank will be clear, well cycled, and require MUCH less attention filter wise

Interesting.. Is there a link I can learn more about it? Like how to do it? I'd have to guess its DIY project.. Thanks

I thougjt abkjt doing this but dont know enough about it. I would also like to findo out more info in this instead of using the cartridges. Im gonna fillow along and hopefully we noth can get help :)

I have done some digging and apparently it is a very good idea to get that ceramic media. It is designed to house beneficial bacteria in it without risk of loosing it. Got that part, now how do I set it up?!

It's very simple, just I'd recommend ripping apart the cartridge you have to save the bacteria that has already formed on the poly material and keep that. Toss the carbon inside and the frame. Now all you have to do is fill the empty chamber with ceramic media. Put the cartridge pad in between the ceramic media to keep it down. Then top off the ceramic media with polyfill from the pet store or craft store. It's very easy, and very effective.

Yeah that makes sense! I'll do more reading on that and definitely consider switching to this method. Thanks for the hint! :)

Yeah that makes sense! I'll do more reading on that and definitely consider switching to this method. Thanks for the hint! :)

No problem. I like the aqueons, they just need to abandon the cartridge method and be more like the AC HOBs

I don't change mine until they are falling apart. I just rinse them in dirty tank water when I do water changes to get the yuck off of them that builds up and shovel them back in. I also have a mesh bag filled with ceramic rings the I have tossed in there to help with the bio load. You can do this cheaply and just use panty hose that are tied off. I have 2 filters and I never change them both at the same time.

another idea is to place floss first to catch all the nasty debris, then the old filter floss you took off your cartridge, then fill a knee high stocking with the ceramic, tie into a knot, then place it on top...I like this way so my ceramic does not get all the gunky/slime/debris all over it

Back
Top Bottom