When to change my bulbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rustedscrapmetal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I have had aquariums since I was a little girl. I currently have four tanks in my house, two nano, one ten gallon, and my crown jewel, a 55 gallon planted freshwater tropical community tank. I have had it running, plants and all, for a year and a half now, with no problems.

I house only low to mid light plants, as I am a beginner when it comes to plant keeping. I use liquid ferts, liquid CO2, and a root tab under each plant. For a while my plants thrived. I'd have to frequently thin them down, as they'd sprout out newer, smaller plants from their roots at random areas around them.

They are still doing well, but they are not sprouting new growths, plus they are not as bushy as they used to be. Could it be my lighting?

I have not changed my bulbs since I got them. They are on a timer for 10 hours a day. I have two T5HO bulbs, one giving light more in the res spectrum, the other more in the blue. They are specifically for plant growth and natural bright daylight. The hood has a mirror behind to reflect all light into the tank. I have noticed that on both bulbs have a slight gray ring on both ends, an inch in length.

I looked on other forums, and heard two things. One was that you do not need to replace the bulbs until they blow or fade out on their own. This theory was that any plant will get used to the slow degradation of light. Another was to replace any T5 HO once a year.

I am stumped over which idea to follow. My plants are not as full as they used to be. They still grow new leaves, but not as frequently. Also, some older leaves are yellowing, which I never had a problem with before.

What's the true answer on this? To replace regularly, or not to replace?

Hello rusted...

The standard florescent lamps will easily last a year. The higher end T5s should be replaced a little more often. I keep plants that require only subdued lighting, and those plants aren't nearly as particular about their light. So, I run the lamps a little longer than recommended. If I begin to see slower growth, then I'll replace them.

B

Hello rusted... The standard florescent lamps will easily last a year. The higher end T5s should be replaced a little more often. I keep plants that require only subdued lighting, and those plants aren't nearly as particular about their light. So, I run the lamps a little longer than recommended. If I begin to see slower growth, then I'll replace them. B

Ok. Considering it's been a year and a half, and my plants are not flourishing as well, I'll assume it's the lights since I changed nothing at all in my aquarium since. The only change I ever made was to take out the carbon, since I found in unnecessary to have after my natural wood stopped leeching tannins.

I did hear that if there are gray rings at the ends of the bulbs, that they need replacing no matter what. Is that true? Anyone know why?

It sounds like they are about to burn out. I'm not sure why they turn gray on the ends but I know that is a sure sign they are on their last legs. I change out my t5ho bulbs out every 6-9months

It sounds like they are about to burn out. I'm not sure why they turn gray on the ends but I know that is a sure sign they are on their last legs. I change out my t5ho bulbs out every 6-9months

Thanks for the info! Being new to plants in a tank, it's nice knowing from someone who knows what the symptoms mean.

I change my T5HO bulbs out once a year. I run them 7 hrs a day. I do notice an improvement in the plants right after new bulbs. OS.

T5HO should be changed every 12-18 months according to most manufacturers and lighting aficionados, depending mostly on daily usage and running temp (hotter fixtures need more frequent changes). Yearly is a good goal for most setups.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

T5HO should be changed every 12-18 months according to most manufacturers and lighting aficionados, depending mostly on daily usage and running temp (hotter fixtures need more frequent changes). Yearly is a good goal for most setups. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's good, reliable advice! I'll mark it on my calendar. Considering my fixture has no fans, I'll do it yearly by your advice. I think a year and a half had a noticeable decline in plant growth.

Back
Top Bottom