When to do a water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wheelsondown

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to fish keeping. I am cycling my 36 gallon tank and the readings today were:

A: 0 ppm
Nite: 5 ppm
Nate: 10 ppm

So my question is when do I do a water change? Do I wait till the Nitrites are at zero? Do I wait till the nitrates are higher? Thanks!

If you are fishless cycling (that's what it sounds like) then you do a water change before you add fish, but not otherwise. If you have fish in now then your nitrite levels are really high so you would need to do a water change ASAP.

I am doing a no fish cycle. Do I keep adding ammonia? with the Nitrite as high as it is?

If you are fishless cycling (that's what it sounds like) then you do a water change before you add fish, but not otherwise. If you have fish in now then your nitrite levels are really high so you would need to do a water change ASAP.

Yes I would dose ammonia up to 2 ppm from now on. If the nitrite stays up above 5 ppm after that then only dose up to 1 ppm every other day for ammonia.

What are you testing with?

The only reason for doing a WC on a fishless cycle is if your PH drops to less than 6.4ish. The nitrification cycle can make the water acidic and below a PH of 6 the bacteria begin to die. Keep an eye on your PH and don't change the water unless your PH drops low. Before adding fish after the cycle do a massive water change to get your nitrates down to 20 ppm or less (may have to do 2 WCs).

Back
Top Bottom