When to Feed Otos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO and what I have been doing is supplementing with algae wafers a couple times a week. I have enough algae in my tank though, to keep mine fed for a long time, peas and cukes have worked for me too

I feed mine at night and I know they eat then since I have moonlights to view them. I have some of the biggest fattest Oto's I''ve ever seen. Everyone always comments on them when they see the tank. I also cut my zucchini in slices so more Oto's can fit on it to eat, but then I have 18.

Do you soften them alittle in the microwave before feeding? I found when I do that they start eating on them much quicker. Guess it makes it easier to get the flesh off.

Use a suction clip and clip the vegetable of choice to the glass pane. Blanch the veggies so it's semi-soft, but not soft enough to fall apart when you clip it. Put it in at night and take it out in the morning, as suggested above.

Cucumbers are a favorite.

David

Sorry, yea, before the lights go out, and remove in the morning. Because otos are all wild caught they are known picky eaters and are hit or miss on whether they will even take a wafer- they need to be pre softened and they need to be pretty hungry- no disrespect meant, I am speaking from my own experience only.

So is there other things they eat besides zucchini braise I want to get ottos soon. On other sites it says that they eat tablets and wafers, and any algae in the tank.

I blanched the zucchini first. They sunk for now which was lucky because I still have to get clips. I put them in before lights out and will take them out in the morning. Thanks everyone!

zucchini, peas, cukes, squash, and you will have no algae in your tank, but it truly is hit or miss on wafers, honestly.

I tried wafers and they wouldn't take them. I took the zucchini out this morning. They ate a little but not much. I hope they'll eat more in the future since there is no algae in their QT tank.

Back
Top Bottom