When to fertilize newly planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gjustinmatz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all
This is my first post here. I have a 90 gallon freshwater setup with 3x54 t5 bulbs. I'll be doing my first planting this week. My question is whether I should begin adding macro/micro ferts immediately or should I wait a few weeks after planting. The tank has been cycled and up and running for about 3 months. I have 6 lemon tetras and 3 zebras in it. The past few weeks have seen higher levels of nitrates and the consistent appearance of brown algae. Lights are on for 12 hours. Thanks so much.

Do a big water change right before adding your first plants. Plant them, and then let the plants establish themselves in your tank. They will be in "shock" from the transport and need acclimate themselves to their new home. I would say maybe after about 2 weeks start fertilizing. Maybe even just one week, but you will see the difference in them when you first plant them and once their root systems have started growing again.
This is just my opinion, I'm sure other ppl will chime in!
What type of plants are you thinking about?

I don't know why you have a spike of nitrates with only 9 fish in a 90 gal? Plants love nitrates. They need alot of it! Are you sure its cycled? How high are the TRATES?

Back
Top Bottom