When to upgrade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unicorn2tears

Aquarium Advice Regular
Some times I get concerned about this and lately I've been getting worried again so I figured I'd ask for some opinions. A few inhabitants of my main tank (29 gal) will eventually have to be moved (into a 55 gal or 75 gal). I have yet to set up the larger tank so I would like to stall as long as possible. I'd ideally like to move them before they eat something else in the tank or cause any injury.

Here's what is in there now:

1 black ghost knife (4.5")
3 angels (3", 2.5", 2" - all different ages)
2 swordtails (adult)
5 adolfoi cory (3 adult, 2 juvenile)

The angels have only recently started to bicker but no real aggression yet. They were all about nickle sized when I first got them. The black ghost is my main concern at the moment. His habits have changed a bit as he's grown but he's still very peaceful and doesn't bother any of the other fish. At what point should I move them to a larger tank?

Well, only the knife and maybe the angelfish will need a bigger tank. A 55 would be enough. I wouldn't let the knife get over 7" before moving it just in case.
The knife may eat fish it can fit in it's mouth <not sure about this though
It will probably get to a foot long, possibly a few more inches than 1' so keep that in mind, if you didn't know that.

Back
Top Bottom