When to use dechlorinator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Augusta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In SC across the the savannah river from Augusta G
It's been twenty plus years since my last aquarium. I'm just on day 4 of my fishless cycle in my 60 gallon tank. I know I will be doing some water changes soon. And for the life of me I can't remember when to add the dechlorinator. Currently I'm using a 5 gallon bucket--do I hit the bucket with dechlor and then move it to the tank, or pour it in and then put the dechlor in the tank? I will be purchasing a python or something similar so I can use water from the tap directly. When I do this should I add the dechlorinator slowly as the tank fills? Or wait until full and add the full dose? Thanks for any advice.

Bucket: Dose the bucket for the appropriate volume of water. Five gallon bucket, dose as per instructions for five gallons into the bucket and mix.

Python type thing: Dose tank BEFORE you fill it up for the ENTIRE volume of the tank. 60 gallon tank, dose as per instructions for 60 gallons of water.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong please.

blert said:
Bucket: Dose the bucket for the appropriate volume of water. Five gallon bucket, dose as per instructions for five gallons into the bucket and mix.

Python type thing: Dose tank BEFORE you fill it up for the ENTIRE volume of the tank. 60 gallon tank, dose as per instructions for 60 gallons of water.

this is how I do it! and this is what I've seen around the site

blert said:

This is my technique also

IF doing a PWC, say 50%, with a python, do you dechlorinate enough for 100% of the water or only for the 50% you're adding/changing?

sammybelle said:
IF doing a PWC, say 50%, with a python, do you dechlorinate enough for 100% of the water or only for the 50% you're adding/changing?

with a python.. you add enough declorinater for the whole tank.
no matter how much water you change out

Basically if you can treat the water before it goes into the tank only treat the volume of water. If you can not treat the water before it goes into the tank. Treat the tank for 100% of the volume and then add your water

Back
Top Bottom