Where are my catfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gail

Aquarium Advice Activist
Last week I was cleaning out my 29 gallon guppy/cory cat fish tank. The tank had quite a bit of algae on the back glass that faces the wall. I scrubbed the mess out of the tank, the water turned green so I did some water changes, bringing the tank to less then 1/2 full. (Don't ever do this without turning off your heater, I soon learned that).

I was admiring my great job, have more scrubbing to do, but it's coming along great. I don't know why I let that tank go for so long without cleaning that green mess off there. Anyways, as I admired the tank I noticed my cat fish disappeared. No frickin way could guppies eat 4 cat fish. Did they jump out? checked around the tank, nothing there. mmmmmm, I don't know, what could have happened to them? Were they abducted by aliens? :hide:

When was the last time you'd seen them?

How are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Corys can be sensitive and, not to be nasty, but if your tank got as bad as you say, it sounds like you should've been doing more maintenance.

If your corys died, the other fish would've consumed the carcasses.

some times they will hide inside the decorations if theres a hole in the bottom.

I'm going to take the decorations out when I get home from work and check it out. They couldn't have just disappeared. The fish missing are albino cats. I don't think the guppies would have eaten all 4 of them. The last time I saw them was probably around the 20th when I last cleaned the tank. Problem is with that tank, the sun hits the corner and I haven't kept it clean like I should. My poor fish, I'm such a bad fish mom!!

I will do a water test when I get home and see what the scoop is.
:(

Coincidentally my last cory has disappeared as of last night; the other 2 died a few weeks ago. Tonight I hope to have time to do a thorough check for him.

I'm also curious about other types of small bottom scavenger fish I could use.

LYNDA B. thanks for getting on my butt. I got the tank cleaned up, did some water changes and everything if wonderful again. I feel bad I let the tank go and some of my fish died. I have never done that before, and won't ever do that again. Again, thanks for getting me back on track.
gail

Back
Top Bottom