Where did my nitrates go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianJR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just tested my tank for the first time in almost two weeks, and I got the following readings:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

I have a 15gal with 3 java ferns, 2 cardinal tetras and 2 cherry barbs. My tank has been set up for 6 weeks. I started by dosing with ammonia, then I watched the nitrites peak a few weeks later, followed by nitrates. However, I never saw nitrate go above 5ppm.

Should I be concerned? :?: I assume the nitrates are being used by my java ferns. Or is my filter to blame? I have some carbon and biomax media in my AquaClear filter. I also had an outbreak of ick, so I raised the temperature to 30C for two weeks and am only now starting to bring that back down to 24C.

Thats a good water change schedule. It could be that the Nitrates are being used up by the plants. As long as you are not showing signs of Ammonia or Nitrites, I wouldn't be worried about it. How old is your test kit? Try testing again following the instructions to a T. Are you using a liquid reagent test kit?

Java Ferns are more than likely the culprit. With the combination of your low bio-load, you have an ideal set up.

I would suggest testing for nitrate about 2 days after your water change to see what the level is prior to being consumed by the ferns.

Thanks Fishyfanatic! The test kit is brand new. It's a liquid kit, and the test for nitrates is the most finicky (ie shake container for 30sec, shake tube for 1min etc). However, I am a chemist so I would like to think I can follow directions. :p

Jchillin...thanks! I'll do a test tomorrow to see where the nitrates are. I think I will also hold off buying any more plants until I have a few more fish in the tank.

:D

It's good to hear that you have a liquid reagent kit. I am assuming the Aquarium Pharm kit? If so, that test can be a little finicky when it comes to shaking times. That's why I never look forward to doing THAT test. :D

I agree with JC. It sounds like the low bio-load plus the plants are what is consuming the nitrates.

keep an eye on it and see if you get NO3 sooner or later.. zero NO3 for long periods of time with plants can cause cayno to form.. but there's a good chance you have a ballance going on.. if the cayno doesnt show its ugly head your cool.. 8)

Jchillin said:
I would suggest testing for nitrate about 2 days after your water change to see what the level is prior to being consumed by the ferns.

Yeah, I should have gone into detail about this. Actually two reasons, the one GM cites and the other, to make sure you have enough NO3 to keep your plants healthy. If lower than 10ppm for the duration of a week, you may need to increase your bio-load a little quicker.

Back
Top Bottom