Where have all the ghost shrimp gone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robby bobby

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Two silver dollars, several neon tetras, some hybrid gold fish, afew guppies and an apple snail. Who ate them? I keep buying em, but they keep disappearing.

Also the ghost shrimp aren’t all that hardy just cheap. Amano or algae eating shrimp would live longer. But not if you have a shrimp loving fish waiting for an expensive meal.

I bought 7 ghost shrimp over 5 months ago...after several tank overhauls and an apartment move, I still have all 7....pretty hardy to me

Mine never live very long even in shrimp specific setups. But it could be bad luck. I've had several Amano shrimp going on three years now which suprised me.

Not much luck with the shrimp. Need a bottom feeder that's hardy, colorful and stays small. Ideas?

robby bobby said:
Not much luck with the shrimp. Need a bottom feeder that's hardy, colorful and stays small. Ideas?

Maybe a Pigmy Corey cat or Mexican dwarf cray fish.

I got 13 RCS about a month ago and though only 3 survived but now I see them all over the place and now are an inch long...maybe they are hiding.

id put my money on the goldfish.and i suggest some sort of cray for the botomfeder.

robby bobby said:
Two silver dollars, several neon tetras, some hybrid gold fish, afew guppies and an apple snail. Who ate them? I keep buying em, but they keep disappearing.

Do you have a Pleco? Mine gets pretty aggressive during feeding. Im expecting him to eat my ghosts at some point. Hope not.

Ghost shrimp are definitely not considered hardy. The reason is because they are primarily used as feeders, so they are often kept in some pretty horrific conditions. I catch ghost shrimp pretty frequently while im out hunting for natives and the ones that I have kept all seem to be much healthier in general.

And yeah goldfish definitely eat ghost shrimp.

depends on the fish. Some of them I keep. Pygmy sunfish are one of my favorites.

We ended up with a pair of grass pickerel ourselves that will eventually make their way into the pond.

My gf netted a baby longnose gar last trip and it was really cute, but yeah, maximum length of 6 feet dissuaded me from any ideas of keeping it :]

Back
Top Bottom