Where to buy lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agp

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

I'm looking to make my 10G tank moderately/heavily planted, and I know that the most important thing I need is a good light. I'm currently using a light/hood combination I bought at Petsmart, and the light output isn't enough. Where online can I get appropriate (T5?) light fixtures for a 10G tank? I know Aquarium Supplies, Cheap Dog Supplies, Fish Supplies, Best Cat Toys has a lot of lights, but one of them are 20 inches long.

Thanks,

Hunter

You can get by with a standard T8 light. Especially on a 10g. I wouldn't invest that kind of money on lighting for such a small tank. If you could use an Aquaglo bulb or maybe a Sunglo bulb you should be just fine. Does the light you got from Petsmart use flourescent lights or incondescent?

The one I have is fluorescent, and it's rated at 15W (or maybe 17W). Isn't this T8 already? Many people here told me this isn't enough for a tank with moderately-heavy plants.

Current USA Nova Extreme 2 Bulb T5 HO 10K/460nm Marine

Purchase the one with the FW bulbs and you're set. The only problem, this thing is 24" long! 2" are going to hang off either end of your 10g lol. Also be prepared to rig a huge diy co2 system (2-3bottles) or go pressurized.

You could also get refugium lighting instead. Less wattage and very sleek looking.

I've seen those lights, but I wish it was 20 inches instead of 24...

Try some LFS. There's one here that sells small T5 fixtures made for 10g for like $30. I almost got one for an old 10g of mine, but i wasn't keeping but one live plant.

Try ceiling mounting it. It will look nice...

I'm trying to stay away from putting anything on the ceiling.

The 24W is only 13.5 inches long though, and my fish tank is 20 inches long. The website description says it'll fit a 10G... will it?

Try some LFS. There's one here that sells small T5 fixtures made for 10g for like $30. I almost got one for an old 10g of mine, but i wasn't keeping but one live plant.

My LFS has the same stock as Petsmart when it comes to light/hood, I checked with them before I bought the hood/light combo from Petmsart.

I haven't done it myself, but I think you'll be able to use your old light, and just swap the internals. I don't think I've ever read a negative review for their lights, if that makes you feel better :)

Just throw in a 6700K bulb? And I just checked, the light fixture says 17W, and it holds only 1 fluorescent light, which isn't far from that 18W DIY kit...

I have single socket lamps with aluminum dome reflectors. I used em for my terrarium back when I kept amphibians. Now I have them to propagate plants. You can probably fit two of them over a 10gallon and they cost 7 bucks each at Home Depot. They can fit those 23watt compact fluorescents or whatever bulb you want really.

EDIT: http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Porcel...?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1280986072&sr=8-11 like this. But go to home depot for them, much cheaper.

If I get that, I would have to get rid of the hood, otherwise there isn't nearly enough opening for the light to shine in. And if I get rid of the hood, I would have to get rid of the light as well since it's a combo.

I did a bit more research... everything that's 18 inches long will require a hood and doesn't have the two leg things to just stand on the edge of the tank; and there's nothing 20 inches long, only 24.

I bought a Current USA hood with two 40 watt cfl’s installed.
However one of them was 460 nm marine tube.
So I had to buy another dual daylight cfl for it. I love it.
It has two switches so I can use one tube or both.
I just did a search for that hood but couldn’t find it.
They must have discontinued it.
However, I did find this one:
http://www.marineandreef.com/20_inch_Compact_Fluorescent_Fixtures_Power_Compact_s/280.htm

BTW, I’m using it on a 16 gallon tank that is 20”wide.
Charles

what kind of plants are you looking to do? are you planning on setting up CO2? if you are just looking for low light low maintenance plants, then the light that you currently have will be plenty. you could keep plants like java fern, crypts (most i think, i have wendtii), anubias, vals, java moss, water sprite, and other similar plants. there are tons of low light plants that would do well under the light you currently have. if you get a 6500k bulb, that would be even better. i picked up a daylight fluorescent bulb (GE i believe) at wal mart.

I bought a Current USA hood with two 40 watt cfl’s installed.
However one of them was 460 nm marine tube.
So I had to buy another dual daylight cfl for it. I love it.
It has two switches so I can use one tube or both.
I just did a search for that hood but couldn’t find it.
They must have discontinued it.
However, I did find this one:
http://www.marineandreef.com/20_inch_Compact_Fluorescent_Fixtures_Power_Compact_s/280.htm

BTW, I’m using it on a 16 gallon tank that is 20”wide.
Charles

Does this require a hood as well? If not then doesn't it sit too close to the water?

what kind of plants are you looking to do? are you planning on setting up CO2? if you are just looking for low light low maintenance plants, then the light that you currently have will be plenty. you could keep plants like java fern, crypts (most i think, i have wendtii), anubias, vals, java moss, water sprite, and other similar plants. there are tons of low light plants that would do well under the light you currently have. if you get a 6500k bulb, that would be even better. i picked up a daylight fluorescent bulb (GE i believe) at wal mart.

I'm not too sure what exactly I want, but I definitely want those Irish clover grass things (or a carpet plant of some sort). If I get better lights I will definitely get a CO2 system as well, but I think once all those are all set up, gravel will be my limiting factor in choosing what type of plants I can have.

The clover won't stay clover-y underwater. The emersed form has lobed leaves the submerged forms have club-like leaves.

What about microswords or sagittaria subulata as a carpet plant? And I plan on keeping plants like rotolas, vals, aponogetons, hornwort, cryptocoryne, ludwigia, and water wisteria - will 17W rated at 6700K suffice? And what are some fore/mid-ground plants that can be used with that light?

i like anubias for foreground or mid-ground, there are several types. anubias nana would be a good size for a 10gal tank.

edit: as far as carpet plants go, i just read a bunch about Hemianthus callichridoisor or HC i guess. in this thread from another forum it seems to be the consensus that low-light will do but it benefits from CO2. it's a pretty cool plant

Back
Top Bottom