Where to Start?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaefick

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all! First post!

I am new to fishkeeping (2 months), so please pardon my naivety. My 55 gallon is up and running as of 48 hours ago and things are doing well so far. I have 8 silver tail tetras, 4 random GloFish from a friends tank, 4 neon tetras, 3 small angelfish, 2 African dwarf frogs, 3 tiny cremecicle mollies, one shrimp, and 2 albino cory cats. I don't have much to go on, but it seems like an enormous amount of personality on one small glass cube.

Firstly, am I overloaded? I got a Penn Plax Cascade 1500 (350gph) on it with cycled media.

Main question: The school of silvertail gobble the food like it's water, and it seems like the small fries at the bottom aren't getting any leftovers. Even with food that sinks, the bigger tetras go all piranha on it and I'm scared the neons and mollies are starving (I have separate food for the shrimp and cory).

Thoughts?

:thanks:

That is a lot of personality for one tank. Did you make sure that your tank has completely cycled because you have some fish that are sensitive to ammonia and nitrite? As well, you have some fish that are probably not compatible and/or need more in a group. Go to aqadvisor.com for a rule of thumb on tank capacity and compatibility.

Obsession is a matter of opinion

You will just have to feed more or target feed them. Put some food at one side of the tank for the quick fish to eat and different food such as sinking granules for the other slower fish to eat at the other end.

I am more worried about the large amount of stock in a new tank tbh. How did you cycle this tank?

I have visited AQAdvisor and the results are:
Jaefick, Jan 31

I should qualify "cycled". I bought the tank used and have the media contained within the Cascade 1500 (there was only about 3 hours between drain and fill). I also kept about 25% of the water from the tank and most of the decor is the same. I'm thinking this is equivalent to a 75% water change, correct?

It should work well, but testing is the key.

Obsession is a matter of opinion

Back
Top Bottom