Where would this fixture put me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcherry

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 75 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. I'm looking for a fixture for the display tank and I want something that will give me the ability to maintain medium to high light plants. I eventually plan on running a CO2 injection system and dosing with fertilizers when I get there. I just started the fishless cycle so I have some time. I was looking at a T5 HO fixture running these bulbs:

- 10,000 K Daylight 54 watt + 6,000 K Midday 54 watt

I'm not sure where this would put me but any ideas would be helpful. If you need any more information let me know

Thanks

probably low- medium, i would buy at least four light fixture for a 75 gal. possibly even a 6 light fixture.

I sort of agree. I think a 6 bulb fixture would be a little overkill though. A 4x54w would allow you to grow about any plant you wanted, but co2 would be necessary. With a 2x54w, you wouldn't have to inject co2 but could keep low-medium light stuff.

Thanks for the answers. Any suggestions on a 4 bulb t5 Ho fixture?

And would it be a problem to run the lights for a couple of weeks without the co2? How efficient is dosing liquid carbon as a temporary substitute?

I was thinking the aquaticlife 2 lamp t5ho to start, then eventually adding a second one when I get the co2 going.

Does anyone know anything about the 650nm bulb? Is it worth replacing?

I would go with a 3x54w fixture if you plan on going high tech down the road.

Otherwise, a good quality 2x54w fixture will be more than enough to grow most anything, and won't be so much that you'll have a total algae farm on your hands in the case that you can't get pressurized co2 for a while. Still might have algae issues with the 2x54w depending on the fixture you get.

Liquid carbon supplements work, they aren't as effective as co2 but it does help, just remember to dose daily.

Back
Top Bottom