Where's my ammonia gone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

archie.atkinson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

Too make along story short. I tried to cycle my fish tank by putting my filter in establish tank for 2 weeks and it didnt work. I put some ammonia in to see if it worked and it didnt because two days later i got some nitrite:( Now a day a ago i put some ammonia in and now i have no ammonia no nitrite no nitrate.

What going on?

thanks

Hi there,

So you tried cycling, no ammonia, got seeded media, dosed with pure ammonia, got nitrites, dosed more ammonia and not 'trites or 'trates. This right???

What are you using to test your water? Strips or a liquid test kit?

Two weeks may not have been enough time; 4 would have been better but it still may have helped a lot. So is the filter on the new empty tank now? I'd just keep dosing ammonia if it's going away in 24 hours and then see what the nitrites do. If they stay at 0 for a few days you could be cycled. As for the nitrate, are you using the API kit? That test is very finicky and easy to get wrong. Shake both bottles for 30 seconds and tap bottle #2 on a hard surface a few times; there's a reagent powder in it that can get clumped and cause inaccurate readings. Then shake the tube vigorously for the entire 60 seconds then wait 5 minutes and see what you get.

Hi there,

So you tried cycling, no ammonia, got seeded media, dosed with pure ammonia, got nitrites, dosed more ammonia and not 'trites or 'trates. This right???

What are you using to test your water? Strips or a liquid test kit?

yes and liquid test kit

I agree with librarygirl. If it is an API Test Kit, shake the nitrate bottle REALLY well for 30 seconds to a minute. This is crucial, and several people get the 0-5 nitrate reading due to that.

Two weeks may not have been enough time; 4 would have been better but it still may have helped a lot. So is the filter on the new empty tank now? I'd just keep dosing ammonia if it's going away in 24 hours and then see what the nitrites do. If they stay at 0 for a few days you could be cycled. As for the nitrate, are you using the API kit? That test is very finicky and easy to get wrong. Shake both bottles for 30 seconds and tap bottle #2 on a hard surface a few times; there's a reagent powder in it that can get clumped and cause inaccurate readings. Then shake the tube vigorously for the entire 60 seconds then wait 5 minutes and see what you get.

LOVE YOU
it worked i shaked it and taped it and now i have 5-10ppm nitrate!!:thanks::thanks::thanks:

One more thing.. because i am doing it because i am getting shrimp. I cant get them in till next saturday should i keep dosing ammonia till Friday?

Agreed, yep keep dosing. The night before you get your shrimp just do a water change to get nitrates down but don't add ammonia and turn the temp down if you need to.

Back
Top Bottom