Which cory is this please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh wow they are beautiful, we only get peppered,bronze,panda and albino over here , so I've no idea but they are cool.

I have one and they are indeed very goofy. Mine spends full time on a piece of driftwood that has lacy Java fern and Christmas moss all over it. They just kind of bumble along, no idea where they are heading next. Pretty entertaining.

Yes mine are like that not sure how big they go, I have a netted box with fry in and when I feed the fry some food falls to the bottom and the Cory's spend ages sucking every bit, he even goes a lot my pearl gourami as though he's cleaning him they are fun to watch

As mentioned, they aren't corys, but Yoyo loaches, and they can grow to 5" or 6". They will eradicate any snails in the tank as well.

Yoyo loaches don't show their true characteristics if they are kept singly. They are extremely social and love to have the company of their own kind. That's when you get to see some hilarious interaction. Also, be warned- they absolutely love to jam themselves into tight crevices. This is important to remember when removing decor, as you may find your loach flops onto the floor minutes after removing the decor, as I did! :eek: hey, he was still alive so it was all good- and that wasn't the last heart attack one of my loaches gave me either! :lol:

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-almorhae

he even goes a lot my pearl gourami as though he's cleaning him they are fun to watch

That is NOT a good behaviour- keep an eye on the gourami for any signs of stress/injury. If you can, try to get at least one other yoyo loach for company.
How many/ what kind of Cory catfish do you have?

If you can, try to get at least one other yoyo loach for company. How many/ what kind of Cory catfish do you have?

Ok forget that. I just saw your profile. I'm sorry to say, but that is a LOT of fish for a 20g tank. Way too many- and some just need bigger tanks than that so that they can swim naturally, have their own territory, and be able to forage etc.

I hope you do very large water changes weekly to at least manage the bioload.

I was just reading these notes on Seriously Fish, and it made me want to keep yoyos again. Lol

"Some behavioural routines exhibited by Botia spp. have been recorded often enough that they’ve been assigned non-scientific terms for ease of reference.

For example during dominance battles (these occur most frequently when the fish have been introduced to a new tank, or new individuals added to an existing group) the protagonists normally lose much of their body patterning and colouration, a phenomenon that’s come to be known as ‘greying out’.

Such displays will sometimes also happen within an established group as individuals seek to improve social ranking but are usually nothing to worry about.

Interestingly some observations suggest that the character of the highest-ranked, or alpha, fish appears to affect that of the whole group though it must be said that scientific studies of botiid loach behaviour are virtually non-existent.

It certainly seems that they display a degree of ‘personality’ with some specimens being naturally bolder or more aggressive than others, for example. The alpha is normally the largest specimen within the group and often female.

‘Shadowing’ is an interesting behaviour in which younger individuals swim flank-to-flank with older, mimicking their every movement. Some keepers report that more than one smaller fish may shadow a larger simultaneously, with even three or four on each side!

The reason for it is unknown; it may relate to a group staying in touch with one another when rivers swell during times of flooding, perhaps reducing drag by swimming ‘in formation’ or having some other communicative function.

It’s been observed in aquaria with both high and low water flow and seems to be habitual to the extent whereby some individuals will shadow other fishes if no conspecifics are present.

Sound also appears to be an important factor in communication since these loaches are able to produce audible clicking sounds, these increasing in volume when the fish are excited. The behavioural aspects of this phenomenon remain largely unstudied but the sounds are thought to be produced by grinding of the pharyngeal (throat) teeth or subocular spines.

A further curiosity is the so-called ‘loachy dance’ which involves an entire group swimming in a constant, restless fashion around the sides of the tank, usually utilising the full length and height.

The reasons for this are unknown and reports as to when it occurs vary but the most common triggers appear to be the addition of food, fresh water or new conspecifics, and it can last anything from a few minutes to a day or more.

Botiids also often settle at peculiar angles, wedged vertically or sideways between items of décor, or even lying flat on the substrate. This is no cause for alarm and appears to be a natural resting behaviour.

Botia spp. also possess sharp, motile, sub-ocular spines which are normally concealed within a pouch of skin but erected when an individual is stressed, e.g., if removed from the water. Care is therefore necessary as these can become entangled in aquarium nets and those of larger specimens can break human skin.

Botiids are also susceptible to a condition commonly referred to as ‘skinny disease’ and characterised by a loss of weight. This is especially common in newly-imported specimens and is thought to be caused by a species of the flagellate genus Spironucleus.

It’s treatable although the recommended medication varies depending on country. Hobbyists in the UK tend to use the antibiotic Levamisole and those in the United States Fenbendazole (aka Panacur)."

Cut and pasted from:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/botia-almorhae/

I have reduced the fish in my tank to 2 yoyo loaches, 2 pearl gouramis 7 rummys 2m&2f guppies and some un expected fry that I have managed to re home at 6 weeks old, thanks for the positive feed, I'm still Learning and since joining this forum have been well educated about tropical fish, I was given the tank to me with off a poorly friend who could no longer look after them and he had now what I've learned far to many fish

When I said he cleans my gourami he does it for a mill second, I have fry in a netted tank and when I feed my fry the male gourmi goes under the net and feeds from the bottom, he suck tiny flakes through the bottom, and my two yoyo loaches do the same occasionally the bigger yoyo loach will go a long the gourami, they get on very well, the male gourami is the bully of my tank and the only thing he dosnt chase off is the yoyo loaches, it's like they've made a deal with each other I will post pics later and show you what I mean and I know what you mean about the rummy nose tetras they should be in a longer tank as you can appreciate my friend is poorly with cancer and he wasn't looking after them, when I got these fish they had fin rot and some were in bad shape they are all fine now and settled the rummy nose all have bright red faces instead of no colour at all, and i know I've still a lot to learn that's why I join a forum, I thought it was going to be simple bring fish to mine set up tank feed fish everyday and do water change once a week, and this is not the case, I've spent a fortune getting my tank right, and it takes up a lot of my time, I just can't wait till everything is fine and I can start to enjoy the fish instead of worrying myself silly over them

When I said he cleans my gourami he does it for a mill second, I have fry in a netted tank and when I feed my fry the male gourmi goes under the net and feeds from the bottom, he suck tiny flakes through the bottom, and my two yoyo loaches do the same occasionally the bigger yoyo loach will go a long the gourami, they get on very well, the male gourami is the bully of my tank and the only thing he dosnt chase off is the yoyo loaches, it's like they've made a deal with each other I will post pics later and show you what I mean and I know what you mean about the rummy nose tetras they should be in a longer tank as you can appreciate my friend is poorly with cancer and he wasn't looking after them, when I got these fish they had fin rot and some were in bad shape they are all fine now and settled the rummy nose all have bright red faces instead of no colour at all, and i know I've still a lot to learn that's why I join a forum, I thought it was going to be simple bring fish to mine set up tank feed fish everyday and do water change once a week, and this is not the case, I've spent a fortune getting my tank right, and it takes up a lot of my time, I just can't wait till everything is fine and I can start to enjoy the fish instead of worrying myself silly over them
I'm in the process of of spending a fortune! Setting up a 55g with black aquarium sand, heavily planted for 2 ebr's and a school of 15 tiger barbs. My tank doesn't have a hood, so I'm making a dyi hood out of some treated 1x and plexi glass. Overall saved 50 bucks on the good. Starting from a empty 55g sure can burn a hole in your pocket.

image-1501995920.jpg

Fish eating fry food from bottom of the frys netted house

Attachments

• image-3984297252.jpg
    image-3984297252.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 58
  • image-1022943266.jpg
    image-1022943266.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 48
  • image-3242903209.jpg
    image-3242903209.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 56