Which fert again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The enhancer kit includes N, P, and K so that's all your macros. The fundamentals kit includes Excel, iron and the Comprehensive Supplement. (hmmm...I would reverse the names :wink:)

I use dry ferts but I do buy the Comprehensive Supplement for my micro ferts. In my 10 gallon tanks, I use one ml twice a week. I do supplement with iron too, so I would recommend that. I use 5 drops twice a week. I notice better growth in my anubias plants with the iron. The Excel is a carbon supplement. You don't necessarily need to dose Excel in addition to CO2 but it's nice to have to clean up algae. I put water plus dechlor in a bucket and add some Excel, and I put my anubias plants in once in a while to get the algae off them. It's also nice to dampen a paper towel with water and a bit of Excel and wipe off your heater, tank walls, etc. once in a while. I don't have much algae but I do like Excel for algae cleanup.

Ah so the excel added into a tank would help with algae a bit? and I think it I will go ahead and get the pack its cheaper to get all three than two anyway

Yes, Excel helps with algae. The directions say you can use it alone (without CO2) or in conjunction with CO2 injection. I never had the need to dose it into a tank that had CO2 injection, but I do like to have it around.

To clarify, the Comprehensive Supplement is what I use for micros, or trace elements. There is a Flourish Trace product but the Comprehensive provides the main micro elements.

That is everything you need, you should be gtg. Some plants are sensitive to excel (hornwort, anacharis come mind but there are a few others. Those plants will melt if you add excel to the tank.

I have micro sword. two types of rotala. fire moss. and java fern. should i worry?

I've read that vals are sensitive also.

Yes, true.

BTW, I have had very good luck spot treating in my tank with excel, so if you have plants you don't want to uproot, you can use a syringe to "inject" excel directly onto algae underwater in your tank. It is a very effective algae control so long as you don't have plants that are sensitive to it (which you don't).
'

Back
Top Bottom