Which filter media is better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco1415

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a lot of extra ceramic media left over from my Eheim 2213 canister filter and I also have a fluval U2. I was wondering if the Eheim ceramic media is better than the kind fluval makes. If so I will replace the ceramic media in the fluval U2 with Eheim stuff. I've also noticed the Eheim ceramic media has holes in the pieces and the fluval stuff is just solid I'm not sure if it makes a difference but I would like to know. Thanks.

Most of the ceramic medias are very similar so i dont really think it would matter

Does the shape matter? The fluval ones are like chunks and the ehiem ones are smooth and rounded.

nope the shape doesnt matter. If they're both ceramic than they are pretty much the same thing

It doesn't matter for filtering, but some off-brand media breaks down into fine sand from rubbing against each other.
I'm not familiar with fluval media, but I'm happy with eheim substrat pro.

For bio filtering shape does not matter with ceramic media. I believe Ehiem uses the flat sided ceramic media as a prefilter and the round sided media as biomedia. IMO the flat sides creates larger cavities where heavier debris can settle; conversely, the round sided media can be packed closer to each other (more media per volume). I could be wrong on that.

I have a lot of extra ceramic media left over from my Eheim 2213 canister filter and I also have a fluval U2. I was wondering if the Eheim ceramic media is better than the kind fluval makes. If so I will replace the ceramic media in the fluval U2 with Eheim stuff. I've also noticed the Eheim ceramic media has holes in the pieces and the fluval stuff is just solid I'm not sure if it makes a difference but I would like to know. Thanks.

I suggest to go with Seachem Matrix very good Bio media you always get what you pay for. And lasts for ever. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom