Which filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dlee13

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gal long tank that isn't cycled yet and I need a new filter for it. I was wondering if the Fluval U2 or U3 would be better? My tank has a lid and I have a cat so using a HOB filter isn't an option.

I'm leaning towards the U3 but my tank is only about 41cm high so would it be too big for it?

Soooo....no HOB? Well I would get a fluval U3 and the filter shouldn't be too big and if it is then you can always lay it sideways. Have you considered a canister? It would keep your tank crstal clear! But if your on a Budget I would just go with the U3

Soooo....no HOB? Well I would get a fluval U3 and the filter shouldn't be too big and if it is then you can always lay it sideways. Have you considered a canister? It would keep your tank crstal clear! But if your on a Budget I would just go with the U3

Na my tank was an all in one type of set up and I can take out the old filter and pump easily, but as I said I need that lid because of my cat and I want a Betta which is a jumper. Yes on a budget so I guess the U3 it is. Do you have any experience with it?

I have no experience in internal filters but based on reveiws on the U3 that I just read it seems like an "amazing filter" and it "keeps water crystal clear" . So yeah I would give it a try and see if you like it.

I have no experience in internal filters but based on reveiws on the U3 that I just read it seems like an "amazing filter" and it "keeps water crystal clear" . So yeah I would give it a try and see if you like it.

Oh ok yeah I read many reviews and they both seem great I just didn't know if the U3 would be too big for a 20G! The only negative thing I've read about them is the filter media.

Do you know much about overhead filters? I had one before and my water always seemed to have a weird tint to it and would always develop a biofilm so I'm thinking it was always useless lol.

Yeah I wouldnt suggest an overhead filter. Theres also a U4 but that maybe be a little bit of an eye-sore in a 20 gallon.

Yeah I wouldnt suggest an overhead filter. Theres also a U4 but that maybe be a little bit of an eye-sore in a 20 gallon.

I definitely won't recommend them either after this! Yeah the U4 is definitely out for me! The U3 is actually gonna cost me around $65 since I have to buy it from Amazon and ship it to Australia

Thanks a lot for the advice, I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom