Which first: plants or fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawkins409

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got plants started in my tank. Do I wait for the plants to get established before adding fish? I have just a plecostomus in there now.

No you don't need to wait but what type of pleco do you have? Most other than a few of the small ones are very hard on plants once they get alittle size on them.

Oh, okay. I don't know the type of pleco. Very deep brown with dark rows of spots, and about 4-5 inches. He's leaving the plants alone so far.

Honestly it's probably just a common pleco which eventually gets huge. As long as he doesn't get destructive or too big he's okay but down the road you'll have to rehome him. In a planted tank Bristlenose Pleco's are the best IMO. They stay small and are good with plants. The added bonus is if you get an albino they tend to stay out during the day so you actually get to see them. Here's a link to a photo of my Longfin Albino BNP female... Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 220g inhabitants - Picture.

Back
Top Bottom