Which fish to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LiamCH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, I've just got an old 45 litre tank and filter and I'm soon going to set it up and start cycling it. I know it'll be a while off yet before I can actually get the fish, but I'm so excited about it I just want to try and plan what I'll be able to get.

After a bit of research, I was thinking that possibly five or six neon tetras and two dwarf gourami might be suitable? What do you think? I know this would probably be the TOTAL limit of the capacity, but if I introduced the gourami later once the tank was nice and settled, do you think this would work?

Also, what would you say is the best temperature for these fish? Just 25 celcius as usual, or...?

Thanks for your advice,

Liam.

Welcome to AA!

Congrats on the new tank and kudos on going with the fishless cycle. I'm not sure two dwarf gouramis would get along in your tank. I'd go with only one. You'd still have plenty of room for a school of neons and possibly some small bottom-dwelling fish. 25C is a good temperature. Just make sure to start slowly and add the fish a few at a time.

I would consider some type of algae eater; I would recommend an oto or two. Be wary of plecos for that size tank though, they can get real big. you can google freshwater fish or freshwater stocking ideas, there are plenty of sites with fish profiles on them. good luck :D

Thanks for that. I was actually thinking a pleco might be a good idea, if just for their algae-eating habits. I'm still a bit unsure about the rest though... I know my space is limited, so it's so hard to choose.

My ideal stock would probably be:

One pleco
One dwarf gourami
One Betta
Five or six neon tetras.
But I suppose that might be a bit much? My tank is well planted (already) by the way. I set it up yesterday and added the chemicals and plants.

bristlenose plecs dont get too big so if you have to have one, maybe one of those. there are other algae eaters tho that stay small.

Unless the betta is a female, it might not get along with the gourami (or long finned tetra).

For your size tank, a dwarf pleco (like the BN) is all it can handle, and even that is pushing the limit. A small school of Otocinclus might be a better option.

Thanks for that. I was actually thinking a pleco might be a good idea, if just for their algae-eating habits. I'm still a bit unsure about the rest though... I know my space is limited, so it's so hard to choose.

My ideal stock would probably be:

One pleco
One dwarf gourami
One Betta
Five or six neon tetras.
But I suppose that might be a bit much? My tank is well planted (already) by the way. I set it up yesterday and added the chemicals and plants.

I haven't read past this post yet, but I do know that plecos actually excrete more waste than they consume. EDIT: I just want to let everyone know that I do like plecos, but I don't think you should get them just to clean up algae.

Has your tank cycled yet?

Well it's best to continuously check. I mean, if it's just plain water that has nothing living in it it would read 0 everything and look healthy.

I'm a bit confused. I've added chemicals which are supposed to start my tank's cycle. Surely if I wait two or three weeks, it'll definitely be ready by then? My pet shop doesn't carry the testing kits, annoyingly, so it's quite a hassle to do the regular testing thing.

Sorry, but that's not enough to cycle it. Put some fish food in there each day to provide a source of ammonia. And when you get to the pet store to test make sure it's a liquid test kit and try to get the numbers for each test. Also logansmomma is right about plecos, they aren't exactly the best algae eaters lol.

Those chemicals wont actually make your tank cycle. It's bacteria, sure, but nothing can make it cycle except time. You can do things to speed it up, but it takes at least 3-6 weeks. You can continue to add ammonia (just enough to get the nitrite going and to keep it happy) . You will see ammonia start to drop in, oh 2 to 3 weeks maybe. Then the nitrites should spike, then a week or so after that the nitrates will spike. I am almost to week 4 of my cycle and my nitrites are just starting to show up. What pet shop are you going to? I'm a little worried that you are going somewhere that doesn't sell test kits, but sells chemicals. A lot of places will just try and sell you crap that you don't really need for your tank. You should invest in the API liquid test kit if you get a chance because it will be worth it in the long run, and it is accurate. Here are some things for you to read:

Nitrogen Cycle

Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

There is also one about cycling with fish already but I can't find it atm. Hope any of this helps :)

EDIT: Found it! courtesy of mfdrookies siggy :D

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ady-have-fish-what-now-116287.html#post983258

So if I put in a bit of fish food to get things going, can I count on my tank to be ready within six weeks, given the chemicals I've already added? I must confess, even if it takes longer I'd rather not get into fooling around with ammonia if I can just let the fish food and current chemicals do the job.

Incidentally, how much fish food should I put in, and how often?

Fish food should be fine, as far as I know. I would say just keep testing your water and try and get ammonia levels between 3 and 5 to start. 6 weeks should be plenty of time, I would say within 3 or 4 weeks it will probably cycle. You could just put a little bit of fish food in each day, crushed up.
Someone else might be able to step in here and give you a better idea, but I have also heard of people getting grocery store shrimp and putting one in a mesh bag and just putting that in the tank.

Just feed the "tank" as you would feed a fish. I would stay away from chemicals or any cycle starting meds. A true cycle can take a couple months depending on your waters natural make up. Just follow the advice on this site and youll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom