Which moss to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oneleee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Which moss for a carpet

Hi all, I'm new to this site and not sure I'm doing this right. Ill carry on anyway. I'd like to carpet my aquarium but as I only have a sand substrate and no C02 I'm thinking moss is the way to go. I've got a 360litre tank with about 2wpg of lighting. I'm guessing the moss won't be able to attach its self to the sand so ill have to use the stainless meshes (unless someone has a better idea) which moss would be best to get a nice low carpet. I don't mind trimming it to keep it tidy. Hope some one has some good ideas. Thanks for reading.

I"ve seen a lot of aquariums with java moss carpets. It looks nice and seems pretty easy to grow. I wouldn't use metal mesh. Everything I have read on here says metal of any kind is bad in an aquarium. I used plastic canvas from the craft department of Walmart to make a "tree" with moss. It comes in 8"x12" sheets for .30 a sheet. You can also get plastic screening from any hardware store or department store. I don't have much experience with other plants but I am sure others with more experience will chyme in soon.

Thanks wild rose, I'll have a look for them. I didn't like the thought of putting metal mesh in my tank.

I have java moss wrapped around a piece of driftwood and it grew around it, looks great. Its one of my favorite plants

I wrapped some Christmas Moss round the end of an upright piece of drift wood recently in the hope that when it grows it looks like a tree. I've seen a few pictures of similar on line and it looks good. Too early to say yet (it's only been a couple of days) but I'm hoping my will look ok too. Fingers crossed.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice! I, unfortunately, cannot aid you with your questions. :( Sorry, I am not too familiar with planted tanks......yet! :)

Back
Top Bottom