Which new skimmer for my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rncarter

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a seaclone 100 Skimmer but it is not doing a good job in mu newly installed proflex sump. I am now looking at the coralife 125g and the eshopps psk-100. The eshopps would be a better fit under my tank because it is only 20 inches in height. The coralife is 24 inches which gives me only 1 inches of clearance under the tank. However I am also still trying to figure out how the these Skimmers work because thy but look different from the setup of my seaclone

mr_X said:
90 plus how many gallons in the sump? what footprint can you fit in the sump?

The maximum height for the sump us 24 inches with 1" of clearance. The L x W is 10"x12". I currently have about 5 gallons of water in the sump

I have a seaclone 100 Skimmer but it is not doing a good job in mu newly installed proflex sump. I am now looking at the coralife 125g and the eshopps psk-100. The eshopps would be a better fit under my tank because it is only 20 inches in height. The coralife is 24 inches which gives me only 1 inches of clearance under the tank. However I am also still trying to figure out how the these Skimmers work because thy but look different from the setup of my seaclone

Take a look at this one. The pump is integrated into the skimmer, making it easier to place in a sump with limited space. overall height is 20.5''.
Super Reef Octopus XP 1000SSS CONE Protein Skimmer - AquaCave

I have just placed this same model in my sump a few days ago. Seems to be a well designed unit, but haven't had it long enough to give a lengthy review.

Re; " However I am also still trying to figure out how the these Skimmers work because thy but look different from the setup of my seaclone"

Skimmers may look different, but they all have the same end function.

See.. What Is Protein Skimming, and How Does It Work

What are your arguments against the two that I mentioned. Just want to see what your thoughts are.
well, i've had experience with coralife skimmers and know them to be of much less quality than their competitors. i don't think i've seen anyone who has knowledge of skimmers mention that these perform well.
i have also seen the eshoppes skimmers running at MACNA and took a good look at the different models and i was not impressed.
that psk-100 is way underpowered for your tank. i would probably consider something of that size for maybe a 40 gallon, but again, i'd probably want something better quality anyway.
a protein skimmer is either going to be a major component in the filtration of your system, or just a giant aerator. i believe the 2 you chose aren't going to do a whole lot other than aerate the water.

also, it's a good practice to look for a skimmer that is rated for 1.5-2x your system volume. these manufacturers tend to rate these skimmers for more than they can handle IMO, and some companies rate them for MUCH more than they can handle.

the only trouble i've heard about the space saver cone is that when you need to do maintenance to the pump, you have to remove the entire skimmer from the sump. that might be a P.I.T.A. for some.

mr_X said:
well, i've had experience with coralife skimmers and know them to be of much less quality than their competitors. i don't think i've seen anyone who has knowledge of skimmers mention that these perform well.
i have also seen the eshoppes skimmers running at MACNA and took a good look at the different models and i was not impressed.
that psk-100 is way underpowered for your tank. i would probably consider something of that size for maybe a 40 gallon, but again, i'd probably want something better quality anyway.
a protein skimmer is either going to be a major component in the filtration of your system, or just a giant aerator. i believe the 2 you chose aren't going to do a whole lot other than aerate the water.

also, it's a good practice to look for a skimmer that is rated for 1.5-2x your system volume. these manufacturers tend to rate these skimmers for more than they can handle IMO, and some companies rate them for MUCH more than they can handle.

the only trouble i've heard about the space saver cone is that when you need to do maintenance to the pump, you have to remove the entire skimmer from the sump. that might be a P.I.T.A. for some.

I think I may buy the reef octupus 150 today. Still doing some raring on it

I think I may buy the reef octupus 150 today. Still doing some raring on it

mcarter wrote, ". The L x W is 10"x12". I currently have about 5 gallons of water in the sump"

The Reef Octopus 150 has a 12" x 8.5" footprint including pump. I am guessing that you already have a return pump in your sump to the tank leaving no room for this skimmer. Even if your sump was empty you will be cramming this skimmer into a 10'' x 12'' sump. I would double check to see if this will fit.
The dimensions for the
Super Reef Octopus XP 1000SSS CONE Protein Skimmer.
are 9.5”x7.5”x20.5”.

I am guessing that you already have a return pump in your sump to the tank leaving no room for this skimmer.
i hope you don't have your return pump in the same place you have your skimmer. that's not going to work too well.

The sump has 3 compartments. From left to right is the intake area, the Skimmer in the middle and then the return pump in a section by itself

i hope you don't have your return pump in the same place you have your skimmer. that's not going to work too well.

I admit that is a new one for me. Why do you say that will not work well?? I am 11 years into running a skimmer this way and do not see a problem. What am I missing.

because the level in that section will always fluctuate. skimmers have a recommended depth they work to full efficiency in.

because the level in that section will always fluctuate. skimmers have a recommended depth they work to full efficiency in.

Good answer, but I guess I am still confused. You want the skimmer to continuously skim a steady supply of 'new' aquarium water. How would you place a skimmer in a sump where it can receive this water and at the same time put it in an area of the sump that has no water fluctuations.
I guess I am asking, what section of any sump does not have water fluctuations?

WMC said:
Good answer, but I guess I am still confused. You want the skimmer to continuously skim a steady supply of 'new' aquarium water. How would you place a skimmer in a sump where it can receive this water and at the same time put it in an area of the sump that has no water fluctuations.
I guess I am asking, what section of any sump does not have water fluctuations?

See attached

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110130_131719.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110130_131719.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 87
Back
Top Bottom