Which one is male/female GBR??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The size of the tail fin, the length of the pelvic fins, and the extra long dorsal fin and sheer body size tell me that the first one is a male GBR. Please get a better side shot for confirmation.

Also, the second picture appears to show a male as well. You will need a better pic for better accuracy.

The size of the tail fin, the length of the pelvic fins, and the extra long dorsal fin and sheer body size tell me that the first one is a male GBR. Please get a better side shot for confirmation.

Also, the second picture appears to show a male as well. You will need a better pic for better accuracy.

Weird I just sent you a pm about this thread lol

That's a much better angle. The tail wasn't as wide as I thought...it's funny how deceiving a photo can be. Still, the dorsal fin is very flowing, which is generally more pronounced in long finned males. But, the fish lacks a prominent first three dorsal rays and the pelvic fins don't extend past the start of the anal fin (as far as I can tell). I'm leaning more towards a female or a younger male that has been treated with hormones. You will most likely be able to tell for sure in 3 weeks when it colors up more. How long have you had them? I'm just trying to figure out why they are lacking color and appear stressed. It may simply be that they are young and aren't showing their adult colors yet. Notice the stress bars on both of the rams.

That's a much better angle. The tail wasn't as wide as I thought...it's funny how deceiving a photo can be. Still, the dorsal fin is very flowing, which is generally more pronounced in long finned males. But, the fish lacks a prominent first three dorsal rays and the pelvic fins don't extend past the start of the anal fin (as far as I can tell). I'm leaning more towards a female or a younger male that has been treated with hormones. You will most likely be able to tell for sure in 3 weeks when it colors up more. How long have you had them? I'm just trying to figure out why they are lacking color and appear stressed. It may simply be that they are young and aren't showing their adult colors yet. Notice the stress bars on both of the rams.

Well one I just got today the more colorful and smaller noticeable male. The other one I have had for months and have been kept in a 55 gallon with some community fish. I just moved him into my 10 gallon planted aquarium with the other ram today. But ever since I got that ram (hopefully female) it has never really had any good colors. Thats why I was so excited about gettin' that ram today because of it's great color. SO yeah i've had that other ram for quite awhile. I just thought since it didn't have much color it was a female, but I saw other pictures and males/females and both have great color.

I'd say the one on the top is a female then. If it's fully grown and if the pelvic fins don't extend past the start of the anal fin I'd say you have a female.

Also, it's not really obvious but in the second picture in this thread it looks like that is a male because of the pelvic fins as well. They seem like they have the extensions that I've always seen on male rams. Generally females will have pelvic fins that will be "flush" or rounded but the males will have little thin extensions that go past where the females' would stop.

I'd say the one on the top is a female then. If it's fully grown and if the pelvic fins don't extend past the start of the anal fin I'd say you have a female.

Also, it's not really obvious but in the second picture in this thread it looks like that is a male because of the pelvic fins as well. They seem like they have the extensions that I've always seen on male rams. Generally females will have pelvic fins that will be "flush" or rounded but the males will have little thin extensions that go past where the females' would stop.

Ok awesome thanks. I've seen a little small aggression from the female towards the male. Is this normal behavior to new tanks and tankmates? No serious damage just short chases I guess.

Back
Top Bottom