Which other fishes are compatible with goldfish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shahabazz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have kept goldfish with iridescent sharks, bala sharks and a pleco for 2yrs now in a heated tank at 78 degrees. Which other fish can I add to it?? Can I add Guppies or will they be eaten??

No.. 75 gallons...but all the fish are around 2 inches

Well what are you gonna do with gold fish and shark when they grow?

If they're only 2 inches after 2 years there's a problem there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It depends on the type of goldfish, fancy goldfish are slow swimmers and usually aren't able to compete for food with fast swimming fish. Thin bodied gold fish, like comets are much faster swimmers and usually do better with different species tank mates.

Best option for a goldfish as tank mates is to pick a temperature compatible fish

Since goldfish are cool water fish who do best without a heater, White Cloud Mountain minnows make good tank mates in a repurposed swimming pool

If you put in rocks and plants, like hornwort and java fern, every one should be ok. Snails are ok to but in a pool they might leave and explore

As far as an upgrade when you are ready, I suggest a 100 gallon stock tank with sponge filter. It's cheaper than a tank but will give them more room to grow

if it's a fancy goldfish they like water temperatures from 68-72 F. Fancy goldfish in water that is 55 degrees Fahrenheit*and lower are almost catatonic.
As long as the fish isn't small enough for the goldfish to eat and it is suitable for that kinda temperature it should be good. But also don't Foget fancy goldfish are slow swimmers.

And your going to need a big tank cause most fancy goldfish reach 6-7 inches.
Your iridescent sharks can grow up to 10 inch
Your Bala sharks can grow up to 13 inch
Your pleco can grow up to 12 inch

I don't know how many of each you have but 75 gallon is not big enough.

Good point, goldfish eat anything

And if living space is cramped, they'll eat tankmates to solve the problem

They are social though, and not automatically aggressive

"And if living space is cramped, they'll eat tankmates to solve the problem*"

Was that a joke or being serious?

I'm actually serious

I lost two youngish pleco (2inch)before someone told me what was going on. My tank was barely big enough for my goldfish and when I tried to add more, they were having none of it

Neither pleco lasted more than a couple of weeks before disappearing without a trace :/

Goldfish are social and peaceful as long as there is enough room for all, but when competing for limited resources, a common goldfish gets pretty aggressive

Goldfish get very big and are very dirty fish
1 fish oer 10gals
They eat everything
Try boiled peeled peas they are best

if it's a fancy goldfish they like water temperatures from 68-72 F. Fancy goldfish in water that is 55 degrees Fahrenheit*and lower are almost catatonic.
As long as the fish isn't small enough for the goldfish to eat and it is suitable for that kinda temperature it should be good. But also don't Foget fancy goldfish are slow swimmers.

And your going to need a big tank cause most fancy goldfish reach 6-7 inches.
Your iridescent sharks can grow up to 10 inch
Your Bala sharks can grow up to 13 inch
Your pleco can grow up to 12 inch

I don't know how many of each you have but 75 gallon is not big enough.

For the record iridescent sharks can reach lengths of over 2 feet. Common plecos can hit over 20".

This is a big problem in a 4 foot tank. You can't truthfully add anything.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Goldfish get very big and are very dirty fish
1 fish oer 10gals
They eat everything
Try boiled peeled peas they are best

Think you're confused?? 30gal minimum and 10 gal for each additional fish?? That's the rule of thumb right ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good point, goldfish eat anything

And if living space is cramped, they'll eat tankmates to solve the problem

They are social though, and not automatically aggressive

"And if living space is cramped, they'll eat tankmates to solve the problem"

You can't be serious right now. While not only is that logic seriously flawed, if true it would be seriously inhumane(don't worry, it's not true)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, perhaps the person who explained to me why my pleco both disappeared without a trace was wrong then

They told me that the goldfish ate them because my tank was not big enough. And that if goldfish have to compete for resources they will eat tank mates

Both snails I tried were also eaten, as were my pet shrimp

I was never able to keep anything more than the two goldfish until I put them into a pond

This was back when I was new, and I did not know about the space requirements of the goldfish

Back
Top Bottom