Which protein skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marcquez08

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am in the process of cycling a 55 gallon fowlr tank and I am looking to buy a protein skimmer. I do not have a sump so I am looking at hang on the back options. So far I have been looking at the CPR Aquatics bak-pak 2r reek ready and the aquac remora skimmer and they fall within my price range. I like these option because they seem to me low wattage with is a plus. Does anyone any insight or opinions they want to share about these skimmers or a comparable skimmer?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

In other words I want a protein slimmer for a 55 gallon tank that it is only for fish and live rock. I want to keep the price around 150 but preferably lower. I mostly want an efficient skimmer that is not a power hog.

I had a remora and really liked it. I also had the bubble baffle box which made it look alot nicer, no micro bubbles and my fish couldnt get sucked up by the pump.

The CPR comes with good reviews as well as the reef octopus. In my opinion any of the three would be good choices. :)

the octopus that you linked is the one i meant to link. I saw a video on youtube and it seems to work well. The CPR skimmer is cheaper but it seems as if the octopus one would be more ideal.

Do I even need to run a power filter?

A HOB filter? I wouldn't think you need to. A decent skimmer and a reasonable amount of live rock are all you need.

I originally was going to purchase a fluval canister but a protein skimmer definitely has more precedence since I do not have one.

I have the the large CPR refugium with built in skimmer and it works great for my 55gallon reef. This product wud also benefit u since u don't have a sump/fuge.

Carey are you planning on putting together another group buy anytime soon?

Yeah, I've been throwing the idea around. i had wanted to wait til april but I think we will have to do one sooner. :)

Cool!!! I'll probably wait until then for the skimmer. Hen I'll be able to get a pretty good deal!!! =]

I just picked up a Octopus BH 1000 off Craigslist!!!! So far I like it and it seems to be working well.

I am just not sure how far down the waste cup should be. Is it supposed to cover the little hole, part cover, or not at all?

I am going to have fun figuring out how I am going to move my 700lb fish tank a few inches forward XD lol

My protein skimmer isn't not bubbling through the column anymore, is this normal for a protein skimmer? Is it possible that the slimmer just removed all the organic matter in the tank?

Usually they need some time to break in, so maybe it just needs an adjustment. It should be giving you clear skimmate even if there are no organics to pull. I have an aweful time getting my skimmers dialed in so just mess with it a bit, I'm sure you'll find the sweet spot. :)

Since it is a hob skimmer, when I turn of the skimmer to do water changes would the slimmer need to readjust?

Also, I saw a reply you posted on someone else's thread about Purple Up. You seem to think it works and since my cycle is finished I am thinking about buying a bottle. Approximately, how long did it take for you to see the algae spread?

My skimmers usually need to be re-adjusted after a water change. Not sure why that is, but it happens almost everytime for me. lol My octopus stays a bit closer to where it should be but still requires tweaking.
I must have seen coralline growth within a few days, it was actually quite startling how it spread. All my rocks are purple now in my 90g and its actually growing on my overflow too. I took a few pictures to try and show you the results so far, flash shows some of the coralline. keep in mind this tank is only about 2 months old and the rocks in the pictures were completely white when they went in.
img_1839541_0_ea375c2345293989caa45dc084a94890.jpg

img_1839541_1_81fc5df12a130769a44062a175501ee8.jpg

img_1839541_2_c1d1c35521723eb2836bed67f197251d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom