Which tank would baby guppies be safer in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,
I have 6 baby guppies which have been in an Aqua-baby floating container for ~5 weeks. I feel they are big enough to be let out and fend for themselves, but I'm not sure which tank I should put them in:

A 20 gallon long, with the mother guppie, 2 cories, a pleco, 3 neon tetras and 3 omnivorous fish (I'm not sure what they are... they look like Tiger Barbs but aren't. They don't seem aggressive, but they do eat frozen worms). Not tons of hiding places.
or...
A 20 gallon high with 3 zebra danios, and quite a bit of hiding.

Keep in mind they're not tiny, but they're not big - about 5 weeks old. They look as though they're too big to be eaten, but you never know.
Any suggestions as to what would be best in order to keep them alive is appreciated.
Thanks!

I'd go with the 20 gal high. Not so much competion. I'd be concerned with the "omnivorous" fish a lot more than a couple zebra danios.

I agree, put them with the danios for sure, the "omnivorous" fish might have bigger mouths than you think
i agree with the bigger mouth comment lol. i made that mistake with my first batch of guppy fry. and the 20 gal high is your best bet. danios are not exactly the smartest fish out there and from experience they dont take to much interst in the smaller guppies.

Corey said:
Hello,
I have 6 baby guppies which have been in an Aqua-baby floating container for ~5 weeks. I feel they are big enough to be let out and fend for themselves, but I'm not sure which tank I should put them in:

A 20 gallon long, with the mother guppie, 2 cories, a pleco, 3 neon tetras and 3 omnivorous fish (I'm not sure what they are... they look like Tiger Barbs but aren't. They don't seem aggressive, but they do eat frozen worms). Not tons of hiding places.
or...
A 20 gallon high with 3 zebra danios, and quite a bit of hiding.

Keep in mind they're not tiny, but they're not big - about 5 weeks old. They look as though they're too big to be eaten, but you never know.
Any suggestions as to what would be best in order to keep them alive is appreciated.
Thanks!

Go with the 20 gallon high...that is by far the best idea!

Back
Top Bottom