Which tank would be better for cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaMax

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Clear for life has two 55 gallon tanks,
One is 36L x 15W x 24H
The other is 48L x 13W x 20H

Which one would be better for cichlids?
I'd like to have cichlids that grow up to about 5" long.
I prefer the 36x15x24 because I can put it next to my desk.
Would that tank be OK?

Other than these,
What tanks do you guys recommend for cichlids?

I think the 36x15x24 would work best. It has a larger footprint, more room to turn and swim and does what you want it to do- fit on your desk.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For cichlids you want to go longer...48' would be best so that they have more room for territories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Op was looking for fish of at least 5in.. Do is territory one of the only reasons for the 48 inch? I'm just curious

If you're looking for african cichlids then I would go for the 48"as well. The longer the better.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

48" for sure. You'll have territory issues in a shorter tank more than likely

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

+1 48" is a must, what the other guy said about a larger footprint is true. But that's in the case of a 75, or 90 tall. 48" is the right answer.

I've seen posts from folks on several cichlid forums who keep Malawi peacocks and mbuna in 40 breeders. Generally speaking if the fish will work in a 48"x12" they'll probably do just as well in a 36"x18". Some species just need more room, and a 48"x18" is the minimum size necessary, but it depends on which fish you're considering.

Length and width are more important than height, so the 48" is a better choice

[QUO TE=toddnbecka;2986099]I've seen posts from folks on several cichlid forums who keep Malawi peacocks and mbuna in 40 breeders. Generally speaking if the fish will work in a 48"x12" they'll probably do just as well in a 36"x18". Some species just need more room, and a 48"x18" is the minimum size necessary, but it depends on which fish you're considering.[/QUOTE]

They'd do "fine" in both, the question was which is better.

Back
Top Bottom