Which UV sterilizer to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xahx

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im looking to Buy a UV sterilizer for my 60 gal, But i kno i will upgrade eventually...

What one should i buy?

I'm not sure which one to buy, but I am sure of which one NOT to buy. You'll wanna stay away from the JEBO. They're cheaply made and they leak like crazy.

I see the Coralife Turbo Twist recommended a lot. You can get them at one of the online vendors much cheaper than in the LFS. I think the LFS near me wanted like $120 for a Coralife Turbo Twist 3X and Big Al's sells them for $77.99.

Why are you buying one? That is my first question. They are not always a good idea. They will kill PODs and other good bacteria in your tank.

JPloman said:
Why are you buying one? That is my first question. They are not always a good idea. They will kill PODs and other good bacteria in your tank.

UV helps prevent outbreak of parasites, ich on fish,etc. I got a Corealife 3x Turbo Twister. My fish, inverts, and corals are doing fine.

I know they are good for outbreaks but if the poster is just buying one because someone said they needed it, I wouldnt waste my money untill you have a problem and need it.

The sterilizers only kill free floating, single cell organisms. Most beneficial bacteria klings to the substrate and anything else you have in the aquarium. I got one to get rid of my green hair algae and it worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom