Which would you choose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicafish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going to foster a cat from my local shelter but I've came to a dilemma... There are two cats I'm considering.

One is a solid black male who was attacked by a dog about 3 weeks ago and then dumped at the shelter. His wounds are almost completely healed and he needs no special care. He's very sweet and loves other cats (which is important since I have another cat). I assume he doesn't like dogs but that doesn't matter because we don't have one...

The other choice:

A tabby female who has been in the shelter since the beginning of January. She's about a 1-2 years and very playful (which would be good because my cat is 5mo so they could play together). She's very sweet and cuddly just like the above choice.

That's my dilemma! Go with the injured male or the female who's been there forever?

Since I'm only 14 it's not fully my choice by also my mother's. We are going to meet them tomorrow. I hope I can convince my mother into fostering both of them but if I can't which do you think deserves it more?

I would go with the one that's been there longer. I hate to see them stuck in a cage so long like no one wants them :( it will be good for her to stretch her legs for awhile.

Your Cat Choice

Hello Jess...

I'd have to go with the female. Females are less territorial, so not as prone to marking. Males will mark anything and everything even if they're fixed, it's the nature of the gender to do this and makes for multiple cleanups. The female will get along much better with your other cat, because there's less of a need to dominate. Not to say there won't be a feeling out process that can mean hissing and even some short, fighting spells.

I'd keep the new cat separated in her own room for a short time so the two can smell one another under the door. After a day or two, put them together supervised and then return them to their own space. Supervise for longer periods up to a week. Then, let nature take it's course and have the squirt bottle handy to let them know that fighting will have consequences, like a little well placed quirt from the water bottle.

Have fun. Good for you for helping out!

B

Back
Top Bottom