Whit splotches on Silver Dollars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ywagner

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 5 silver dollars that for some reason have large white splotches on them (not all but most). Does anyone know what they are and if dangerous what to do? I am pretty sure it is not ich

OK, I have not worked with these fish in years, but from the not so easy to see photo, it looks like an external / slime coat fungal issue. Keep in mind these fish are sensitive and should be treated like all tetras. I would test your water readings and they are fine look at diet. These fish need a lot of green food and eat fruit in their native environment. It would not seem practical to treat the entire tank based on the photo, so you may need to set up a QT container with Methylene Blue and Marycin II. You could also attempt to spot treat them, but wih this kind of issue it may do more harm than good.

Would you recommend a quarantine? Or should I treat the whole tank ( I have gar, and curvier Bichir)

I try to feed them algae wafers but they won't eat them

It's pretty difficult to see from the photo. Honestly, to go further in diagnosing could you supply some more info about them ? All water parameters to start. Also, what size tank, what tank mates and their sizes, how long has it been running, what's your WC schedule, last fish added to the tank ? If you could add another photo tank light on, room lights off, no flash, will help the fish show better.

I wouldn't be too quick to rule out ich, but I'm not 100% without the other info.

Ok so:
Ammonia: 0 ppm, a little more but hardly any.

Nitrate: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

PH: 7.6

Hardness: pretty hard, because I live in city.

The tank is 60 gallons and 4 ft long.

I currently have
5 silver dollars 3-4 inch.
1 Senegal albino Bichir 7 inch
1 alligator gar ( I know people don't like this but... Ya) around 9"
2 angels 2.5-3 inches

My water change is about 20-30% everyweek. Latest change=today

Last fish added were the gar and Bichir. They have been adding a lot more waste. I also used feeders for the gar, but those I placed in a general disease killing mix so they should be safe.]

Tank is on PRIME (lol)

Filtration is penguin biowheel, the 70 gallon one.

The tank has been running for around 5.5 months.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401074288.509064.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401074467.971610.jpg

Ok so:
Ammonia: 0 ppm, a little more but hardly any.

Nitrate: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

PH: 7.6

Hardness: pretty hard, because I live in city.

The tank is 60 gallons and 4 ft long.

I currently have
5 silver dollars 3-4 inch.
1 Senegal albino Bichir 7 inch
1 alligator gar ( I know people don't like this but... Ya) around 9"
2 angels 2.5-3 inches

My water change is about 20-30% everyweek. Latest change=today

Last fish added were the gar and Bichir. They have been adding a lot more waste. I also used feeders for the gar, but those I placed in a general disease killing mix so they should be safe.]

Tank is on PRIME (lol)

Filtration is penguin biowheel, the 70 gallon one.

The tank has been running for around 5.5 months.

View attachment 238422
View attachment 238423

Well, after looking at the pic I would have to say it looks to be ich. To not have nitrates is either that your Prime is blocking the readings or you're not cycled. As for the Gar, yes you'll probably get a lot of flack for that but I'd be more concerned about the Bichir. I would look to get both of those to better tanks ASAP !!! According to LA, the Gar should be at least a 70g and the Bichir at least a 90g. Personally I wouldn't put either in less than a 150 myself as they will both produce tons of waste.

I would also recommend larger more frequent WC's and upgrading your filter if you choose (against advice) to keep them, that's not enough of either IMO. And since you're using feeders, they are adding to the waste level also.

Unfortunately it sounds as though you just dumped the fish in without any QT which is possibly where the ich came from. I'm not sure if the Silvers can handle a heat treatment and you didn't list the temp in your parameters.

Thank you so much, I actually was planning to get another filter so it will probably all work out

Back
Top Bottom