White Cottony Patchy on Gourami's Head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jesboo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My dwarf gourami (Blue Hawaiian is his name) has some cotton like growth right on his head. (Pics attached) Initially it just looked like a bit raised scales and just a white discoloration. Day by day, it's looking worse and more disgusting. Now, I can say that it's definitely like a cottony-looking white raised patch. Fish is doing fine, swims great, active, eats (like a champ). Now, it looks like my little gourami guy, Johnny Knoxville is going to get the same thing. His scales are now SLIGHTLY raised, not really appearing worse. Is it a bacterial infection? I don't want my fish to all die :(

After JUST siphoning the tank and changing the water:
NH3/NH4: 2.0 ppm (was 4.0 ppm before!!)
pH: 6.6
Temp: 74 degrees
Tank Size: 20 Gallons (Have for about 2 months now)
Filter: Aqueon Quiet Flow 20
Stock: 2 bala sharks, 3 dwarf gouramis, 1 red tip shark, 1 black shark
Cleaning: once a week, 25% (to rid of bacterial bloom). Just vacuumed gravel, took out 40%.
Feeding: Aqueon flakes, sometimes blood worms for a treat. DO NOT overfeed, definitely keep that in mind now because that's a big problem with starters.

Noticed a bacterial bloom, got rid of it. Added a new plastic coral hideout for them and a bloom appeared again. After that, I noticed the Gouri's head progressively getting worse.

Please help!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20140324_181938.jpg
    IMG_20140324_181938.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20140323_222259.jpg
    IMG_20140323_222259.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 65
I did some research and saw tea tree oil is a great cure? In TINY amounts. Since that's the main ingredient in melafix? What do you think? I have live plants, think salt would screw them up. Thanks though!

Back
Top Bottom