white cottony thing on GSP?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

linbeg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Info:
I am currently housing one GSP in a 30 gallon tank with salinity of 1.008 by himself. I feed him pond snails every other day, however, the pond snails i give him are in a goldfish tank whose ammonia level are fairly high(if that has anything to do with the situation), cocktail shrimp, and some freeze dried krill. I have had him for 3 weeks and bought him from Walmart.

Situation:
Recently, my puffer has been flashing and scratching into objects. When the lights are turned on, my puffer seems to be stressed out, and when turned off his belly turns white as in he looks like he's in perfect condition( he wasn't always like this, he used to not been stressed out by the lights). However, when he sleeps and lays in the sand bed for a while, and swims back up, he usually seems to have some white cottony thingy on his belly. I can't make heads or tails of it, or it may be just sand stuck on him. Could this white cotton thing, if it isn't sand be an external parasite? & if so, are there any ways to treat my puffer without using chemicals; or if so the safest?

it's still juvenile, about 1-1.5 inch.Its salinity is fine. I think your talking about adult 6'' GSPs

Well with out pics I don't know for surf but if might be velvet disease look up pics on google and see if that is what it looks like

it's Green Spotted Puffer

All i know the flashing isn't a good sign for a puffer's health. And i'm leaning towards external parasites. Any suggestions to remedy the EP?

Back
Top Bottom