White dot on baby bristlenose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

northernpangio

Aquarium Advice Regular
As a follow up to my latest post, I got a baby bristlenose pleco on Friday. He's about ~1 1/2 inches long. He was with about 9 other babies in their own tank at the store and they looked healthy, active, and didn't have anything on their bodies so I decided to get one.

I do not have a quarantine currently set up and since he was going to be the final fish added to my tank, I decided to just add him. I was watching him for a while today and couldn't tell at first if it was coloring or something else but I'm pretty sure now it's not supposed to be there.

The dot is about the size of the tip of a needle on his fin. As far as I can tell, it's only one dot right now. If this is ich (which it probably is), do you guys have any tips on how to handle it? I've never had to deal with it before. If there's more than one dot tomorrow should I start doing heat treatment right away?

My tank is planted with fine sand, pebbles and leaf litter. It's stocked with kuhli loaches, nerite snails and the bristlenose. Do I have to take out the catappa leaves?

I'm pretty nervous but I'm trying to stay calm and not get worked up over it.

yUwCTrT.png
or5e2nq.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1343.JPG
    IMG_1343.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 66
I would not worry but keep an eye on it.
If it multiplies it could be a parasite[ich] or if it grows larger possibly a fluke.
At this point I would read up on both and monitor closely.
IMO you nothing to worry about at this point but observation is key .

I agree with CB. The problem could be as simple as a tiny injury on his fin w/fungus.
Keep the water and substrate clean. Chances are the BN will be okay.

I would not worry but keep an eye on it.
If it multiplies it could be a parasite[ich] or if it grows larger possibly a fluke.
At this point I would read up on both and monitor closely.
IMO you nothing to worry about at this point but observation is key .

I agree with CB. The problem could be as simple as a tiny injury on his fin w/fungus.
Keep the water and substrate clean. Chances are the BN will be okay.

I thought yesterday he had one spot on the side of his tail fin but it was too dark to tell, also with his white stripe on his tail... but i just looked at him again and i think there is one... i think. No new spots since yesterday though.

The worker that got him wasn't the usual one to get fish and she did purposely knock a lava rock down to catch one. I was clenching my teeth the whole time but they were fast buggers.

He is active, eating normally with normal poop.

I just did a 20% water change and siphoned around the sand a bit. I might do 20% water changes every other day just in case. I've only ever done 20% once a week.

Edit #2: The dot on the fin in the picture doesn't seem to be there anymore but i think i saw another spot on the other side of his tail fin. Not 100% sure as it could've been sand..

I bet your BN is okay. A 50% WC once a week, or 2x 25% WC a week is what a lot of The experienced AA Members suggest.

I bet your BN is okay. A 50% WC once a week, or 2x 25% WC a week is what a lot of The experienced AA Members suggest.

I probably sounds nuts. :lol: I'm a worry wart and the last time i had a bunch of fish with problems (~5 years ago) i sold the tank and didn't get into fish again until November of last year.

I was only doing 20% a week since i was trying not to take out all of the tannins since my catappa leaves produce so little. I might do 2x 25% from now on since i'd have a sore back from the buckets doing a 50% lol

Would it be a good decision to start heat treatment if i see more than what is already on him? He is still quite active. Eating the catappa leaves all day, shimmying up and down the glass really fast and wagging his tail. Kuhlis are acting normally.

Buy a small peice of inexpensive Malaysian driftwood. It will release tannins for years.
It wouldn't hurt to raise the temp. to 82-84 degrees. I believe your particular loaches prefer warmer temps. Probably a good idea to provide an airstone or increase the filter flow during elevated water temps.

Buy a small peice of inexpensive Malaysian driftwood. It will release tannins for years.
It wouldn't hurt to raise the temp. to 82-84 degrees. I believe your particular loaches prefer warmer temps. Probably a good idea to provide an airstone or increase the filter flow during elevated water temps.

I have a piece of mopani but i boiled it too much before i realized i wanted tinted water. I will get a small piece of Malaysian though.

It's currently at 76F. Should i raise the temperature to 82-84 anyway or wait and see how the BN is? I'm worried they'll react badly to it. I have an air pump/airstone but not sure how much tubing i have left.

BN are tough little guys and they are usually the last fish in the tank to get sick. If 76 degrees has been working, why change? I keep my tanks between 78 - 82 degrees.

82-84 is useless.
If you don't go over 86 you are not going to kill ich ,only enhance it .
I would skip the heat also...

BN are tough little guys and they are usually the last fish in the tank to get sick. If 76 degrees has been working, why change? I keep my tanks between 78 - 82 degrees.

82-84 is useless.
If you don't go over 86 you are not going to kill ich ,only enhance it .
I would skip the heat also...

Okay, so should I slowly turn it up to 86F only if I see any more on him?

Yes heat only if you see more spots..
I am not the heat or salt guy [boo hiss].
I would recommend real meds to treat the real issue when we know what it is..

Yes heat only if you see more spots..
I am not the heat or salt guy [boo hiss].
I would recommend real meds to treat the real issue when we know what it is..

I was hoping if anything that it was ich because it's the only thing I don't "need" meds for. My car broke down and the LPS is about a 20 minute drive away, so I don't know how I'd get meds... not having much luck.

edit: I have someone that could pick meds up for me. Is kordon ich attack good? I have plants/snails.

If the problem was Ick, likely every fish in your tank would have it by now. Unless things have changed, it's best to change nothing.

If the problem was Ick, likely every fish in your tank would have it by now. Unless things have changed, it's best to change nothing.

I just edited my previous post, probably before you saw it. I can get someone today to go to the store for me but only today. Is there anything i should get? I was going to get kordon ich attack.... but if it's not ich.. I would hate for something to happen in a couple days and i cant get meds. :ermm:

There's another white dot underneath his eye but my LPS actually doesn't carry kordon...

Loaches don't tolorate meds very well. Frankly, I would just gravel vac the substrate every other day for a week, as to dilute what ever parasite population is present. For "very" minor
outbreaks, non toxic, herbal meds like "Ick Attack" might work. Meds like Rid Ick or Copper Safe, will completely wipe out the parasitic bugs, but likely will take out your Plecos and Loaches as well.

Loaches don't tolorate meds very well. Frankly, I would just gravel vac the substrate every other day for a week, as to dilute what ever parasite population is present. For "very" minor
outbreaks, non toxic, herbal meds like "Ick Attack" might work. Meds like Rid Ick or Copper Safe, will completely wipe out the parasitic bugs, but likely will take out your Plecos and Loaches as well.

The only meds i have available are API Super Ick Cure, Metroplex and Paraguard but none are definitely safe for plants/inverts. Anything other than that would have to be ordered online. He lost one spot on his tail fin, so now has one spot under the eye and one on tail fin. No kuhlis have spots.

So much conflicting info online. Some swear by heat and others say you need meds to erradicate it. Should i start upping the heat today and siphon on top of the sand every other day (since i don't have gravel)? Should i take the catappa leaves out?

Would getting garlic guard and feeding food soak in that help?

Back
Top Bottom