White "film" on bubble counter/CO2 indicator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fort384

Dividing by 0
Site Team
I have recently (14 days ago) started a freshwater planted tank. Everything was going fine until yesterday. Water clarity started going down hill, and a white film has started to develop on my in-tank C02 indicator, and the bubble counter for my C02 generator (the yeast/sodium bicarb/sugar variety).

My tank is planted fairly heavily, and I have started using flourish tablets in the substrate, along with a liquid iron supplement. I also have first layer pure laterite mixed in with my medium/small gravel substrate.

Admittedly, I think I got a little too aggressive with the fish a little early. I am new to the hobby and may have gotten over-anxious/eager. I have 10 very small neon tetras, 4 serpae tetras, and 2 zebra loaches. I lost a few neons early on, but it has been a few days with no more loss, and I chocked that up to the aquarium cycling.

I have been testing my water chemistry on a fairly regular basis in conjunction with water changes - tests have revealed hard water (300 GH and 220 KH), coupled with high pH (7.8-8.0). Nitrate levels have remained fairly steady at around 15-20ppm, nitrite levels have remained low, between 1-2 ppm, and my ammonia readings have been between 0-0.5 ppm. No phosphates have shown up. CO2 levels are indicating ideal according to the in-tank indicator.

Since setting up the aquarium, I have performed 10% water changes every 3 days, which seems to be consistent with a lot of advice out there for new/cycling aquariums.

I have an in-tank heater, and the temp has been fairly stable at 79-80 degrees F.

I have a single tube fluorescent light, set on a timer to be on 12 hrs per day. The tank gets no direct sunlight.

Been feeding 2 times per day. mostly flakes, but occasionally freeze-dried bloodworms. I have been putting a timer on and watching closely to avoid overfeeding.

All plants appear to be fairly healthy. No real signs of distress from the fish. Any ideas out there about what this film is? I had to take the bubble counter out and scrub it with a brush to get rid of it because it was disrupting the flow of the bubbles. Sure enough, I checked again tonight, and it is growing again. I only see it on the bubble counter, and on the surface of the water that is under the in-tank c02 indicator. None on the surface of the aquarium, the plants, or the glass. It seems to be kind of slimy to the touch. It is milky white in color, translucent, and kind of sways back and forth in the tank with the current. Again, not sure if it is related, but it has been coupled with a decline in water clarity. Any hekp or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Its gunk from DIY CO2. You can use a bottle to separate the solids from gas, and it can double as a bubble counter. This was my old one, just a little Canada dry bottle, straight tubing, ends from some valve kit at the LFS, and super glue. Notice the exit of the intake tube goes below the water line to count bubbles. Make that tube deep enough and use enough water so that you don't need to top off for evaporation very often:

attachment.php

I would say that CZ has answered your question, but I have a few of my own.

I know you are not asking for advice on this, but...

What CO2 indicator are you using? What are you filling it with?

Comments:

Twice a day feeding is quite a lot when your tank is cycling. I would suggest no more then once a day and only what the fish can eat within 3 minutes.

NO2 readings in the 1-2 PPM range are pretty high. The high NO2 inhibits the uptake of O2 in the fish. I would highly suggest you try and maintain it less then 0.5 ppm.

Sounds like you are off to a good start, but I couldn't resist the advice.

Randy

Thanks for the replies.
The C02 indicator is on the complete opposite side of the AQ from the bubble counter, but it is still showing the "film". If it was the DIY CO2 causing it, wouldn't other surfaces between the two have this "stuff" on it?

Thanks for advice on feeding - will reduce to once a day during cycling. I chocked high NO2 up to cycling, I figure it should come back down in a couple of weeks. Once-per-day feeding should help that.

My CO2 indicator is a "sera co2 test".

Also, any advice on water clarity? Are the chemical additives necessary, or should i just wait for the N2 cycle to catch up?

Well, I took your advice. Just got it hooked up, CO2 is filling it now. Hopefully it will end the slime :)

Attachments

• gasbottle.jpg
    gasbottle.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 153
Well, unfortunately it only worked for a couple of days. I think the connectors I used on the cap were crap, the hose doesn't fit very tightly. I just ordered some new and improved airline parts with valves, so hopefully that will solve my problem. Back to straight into the tank for now, so the slime will last a few more days I guess.

I am still having a fairly significant water clarity problem. I treated the tank with Aqueon Water Clarifier, but with little to no improvement. The water appears to be clody-white. Do you all think this is due to my aquarium cycling still after 17 days or so, or do I have another problem going on? Plants and fish appear healthy with the exception of my Micranthemum umbrosum (baby tears) plant, which I am guessing is just not getting enought light.

Cloudy water is usually a bacterial bloom, but if its your substrate or dirt, you can suspend those free floating particles with like a handful of KNO3 (or CaNO3, etc) for every ten gallons or so. You should probably remove the fish, but, you know, its easy to imagine many situations where a water way would receive high N water for short periods of time. Slowly (to avoid disturbing the substrate) water change/vacuum after it settles if there's fish in there, of course.

Well, the "slime" never really went away on my CO2 bubble ladder, and the last couple of days, it seems to have come back in full force, but only the bottom "rung" of the bubble ladder. It is a real nuisance, because it gets the bubbles stuck in it until a few bubbles combine and they go up the ladder as one giant bubble, which i am sure effects the amount of CO2 that can dissolve into the water. Lately I have had to clean it off every day just to keep a steady flow of CO2. I am using a gas separator now, and none of the white stuff is growing in there... nor anywhere else in the tank. Just on that bottom rung... any suggestions?

Maybe its some sort of fungus or something? What if you soaked the ladder in some Hydrogen Peroxide for a while, totally clean it/wipe it off, then see if it comes back?

If it was flocculated yeast, you should also see it in the separator bottle's submerged exit. Since you don't, I'm guessing its alive or that something in a planted tank is helping it grow. But just guesses.

Back
Top Bottom